From: Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu>
To: geoengineerin...@gmail.com
Cc: geoengineering <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, May 14, 2013 7:48:25 AM
Subject: Re: [geo] Grist magazine on geoengineering

The context of course is that we are already interfering in Earth's climate
system in a major way ... we are already throwing sand in the gears.

Model results indicate that throwing some oil on the gears will help make the
clock run smoothly, despite not knowing how all the gears really fit together.

When efforts to stop throwing sand fail, where does hubris lie? Does it reside
in the person who wants to consider oiling the gears or in the person who
claims
a priori that their heightened ethical sensitivity demands that the gears not
be
oiled (as we watch the clockwork mechanism grind to a halt)?