I take issue with this statement:

"Out of all of the ideas that have been raised for either removing carbon from
the atmosphere or reducing the sunlight that feeds the greenhouse, only one
would attempt to emulate nature's own process for removing CO2, the way by far
the largest amount has already been removed -- through chemical and biological
sequestration in the open ocean. That proposal is Ocean Fertilization."

While the ocean is indeed the major player in removing excess planetary CO2,
the primary processes that do this and will do this are CO2 hydration/carbonate
buffering, followed by carbonate and silicate weathering, not marine biology,
e.g.
http://forecast.uchicago.edu/Projects/archer.2009.ann_rev_tail.pdf

With all due respect to the father of OIF, "Iron John" Martin, evidence that
biology has played a major role in consuming excess CO2 excursions in Earth's
past has, as far as I know, yet to be found. This is not surprising considering
that by necessity, biomass formation normally must be a very leaky mechanism
for sequestering C.  For the sake of future plant generations, N and P and
other elements contained in biomass normally must be rapidly broken down and
recycled, and in the process CO2 is regenerated (Doney's point below).

Yes, one might modify the preceding by: enhancing N fixation, modifying the
biomass to resist degradation (biochar), depositing biomass in O2 depleted
zones (CROPS), and/or etc. But each of these involves tricky and unproven
large-scale tweaking of biogeochemstry with the potential for unwanted effects
and collateral damage. I'm not saying that such methods shouldn't be studied:
better ideas might emerge, miracles can happen, and at the very least we would
improve our understanding of how the ocean and the planet works.  But to pose
OIF and artificial upwelling as the poster children of how to enhance the
ocean's participation in CO2 mitigation seems to ignore the potential to speed
up some proven, planetary-scale, and relatively benign geochemical CO2
management mechanisms.

I'm just sayin' ... if we have to engineer the planet, let's start with
something we know has worked (and is again slowly working) at scale, assuming
that we continue to fail at the seemingly easier task of drastically reducing
our CO2 emissions.

Greg Rau
ps In fairness and after some serious googling for email #s, tried to cc the
principles mentioned below. Couldn't find James Lovelock's.