Hi Stephen,

Thanks for this paper with an interesting theory about the 100,000 year
cycles.  Generally speaking the warming in periods of de-glaciation is more
rapid than the cooling during glaciation, so you get a saw-tooth curve,
both for the 100,000 year cycle and sub-cycles within it.   I hadn't
considered that the increased ablation as ice sheet surface thins would
provide a dominant feedback effect to speed the warming.  During the
warming since the last glacial maximum, about 20,000 years ago, there have
been several large melt-water pulses, which have choked off the warming.  I
think what has been happening has been a cycle of Gulf Stream warming, sea
ice retreat, warming Arctic, melt-water entering the NW Atlantic nudging
the transatlantic currents further southwards allowing the sea ice to
advance.  (This cause the beginning of the Younger Dryas.)  Then the Gulf
Stream has warmed a bit more and the cycle repeats.

Into this cycle is an effect of the AMOC (Atlantic Meridian Overturning
Circulation), which provides some negative feedback to slow the sea ice
albedo feedback warming. Occasionally the AMOC may be switched off almost
completely, as happened at the beginning of the Younger Dryas, I believe.

So I don't think one does not need the increased ablation effect to explain
the temperature trajectory of the past 20,000 years.  But I'd appreciate
other people's comments.

Cheers,  John