People give up a resource, of any kind and with any burden, only under a few
conditions (not in any order): 1 - rigorously enforced government mandate, be
it taxes or regulations (but remember prohibition which failed as no viable
option was offered) 2 - buy out, 3 - existence of a preferable alternative,
based on economic, political, cultural, religious or some other respected
driver but not education or moral suasion, or distant future gains or costs as
these are deeply discounted.
No one knows when that last tree is cut that makes the forest unsustainable
(not as is commonly stated, the very last tree) and so there is much argument
and righteous justification. The future is almost always sacrificed for the
present.

The start point for change is on the ground not in pronouncements or policy
documents. Demonstrated performance promotes acceptance. The issue to be
addressed is how to harness the not insignificant knowledge, skills and
contacts of this group to promote tangible engineering.

Mike Trachtenberg