Greg and list (adding Peter Flynn)

  1.  Thanks for bringing this NOAA report to our attention.  Clearly a
worsening situation - especially in ice volume (as area/extent have to soon
radically go to zero to follow the non-linear path of ice volume.    Until
today I hadn’t thought of anything new to add.

  2.  This is following up on the discussion many months ago of the idea
broached by Prof. Peter Flynn of thickening the arctic ice by added layering
from above with salt water ice flooding.   (snow-making likely to not be as
energy efficient)

 The only new thought is using moth-balled submarines from navies around the
world (especially the US and Russia, who have the most - and we can use either
active or mothballed).

  3.  I don’t expect lots of different navies to jump at this, but I think a
test may be achievable from some navy - and we only need one.  It seems to me
this could/should be the cheapest approach to adding ice - with the sub moving
every day or few days to a new spot, concentrating on those locations which are
most likely to be salvageable with a small additional thickness.  The experts
seem to have a good handle on thicknesses.  One sub isn’t enough, but there are
probably a hundred if globally we really get scared of the total loss of arctic
ice for even months on end.  (I believe a “zero” area in September is likely in
2-3 years)

   4.  The main modification to the sub is for a low head high volume pump - a
head of less than a meter generally, given the small percentage of the ice
above water level.  The size of one or more units has to be limited by the max
sub (nuclear?) power output when stationary.

   5.  I have added Prof. Flynn to get his reaction.  (And thank him also for
his recent useful biomass paper sent to this list - with a later note coming on
that).

Ron