Holly:

 Thanks.   A lot of new terrain to explore, but not for several weeks.  See few
notes below.

On Jan 7, 2014, at 1:11 PM, Holly J <holly.jean.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Ron, I'm glad you were able to take a look at the piece.  It's true you won't
> find surprising new research findings in the piece— it's more focused on
> opening up the gender and geoengineering conversation.  Is low participation
> of women in geoengineering research any different than, say, women's low
> participating in designing & programming the software-mediated reality we're
> increasingly spending time in?  You decide; I do think there are some ways in
> which geoengineering is distinct from just a "lack of women in engineering"
> situation, which we go into a bit in our paper.
>     [RWL1:  The “programming” link was depressing as I have five
> grand-daughters - all exceptionally (as Garrison Keillor would say) good in
> STEM areas.
          The “mediated” link didn’t make sense to me.
          The “lack of women in engineering” is also depressing.  Biochar is
probably about average in technical career circles - but there are quite a few
excellent female ag and soil scientists.  IBI is mostly staffed by women.
Unfortunately I am also depressed that the main two biochar critics are women.
      This is counterbalanced I hope by a general (at least my) belief that
biochar will assist women more than assist men (coming from my own background
in char-making stoves).  I  note that Hillary Clinton is nominal head of the
largest stove organization [GACC] - which is mostly staffed by women  (Julia
Roberts serves as “chief spokesperson”).  Biochar is in there a small amount -
but growing in awareness.

> On ecopsychology, I'm sure there are other list members (perhaps my
> co-authors) who are better-versed.  My sense is that understanding
> environmental despair, ecological anxiety, etc., is crucial to understanding
> people's feelings about geoengineering (which are more relevant than we give
> them credit for— rational economic choice models aside, this stuff deeply
> influences decision-making).  Ecopsychology is crucial to understanding why
> humans would go about such an environmentally destructive path in the first
> place (which I tend to ascribe to politics and power relations, but there are
> psychologies and pathologies there, too).  Better language, and neologisms
> like solastalgia, could help with talking about the psychological side.  I
> don't know of any work which does much of this with regards specifically to
> geoengineering (you can find more on the Anthropocene more broadly).
     [RWL2:  I also found a new word Solaphilia.  Also that the American
Psychological Association has a Climate-change task force.  I will try to
return to this area - and am now wondering if similar disciplines do have
geoengineering-related task forces as well.
     I have found nothing yet to help me better understand why different people
look at geoengineering (and especially biochar) differently.

> The field of environmental psychology (studying how an environment affects in
> inhabitants, e.g. the effects of biodiverse green space on health) is quite
> strong, and would be incredibly rich with regards to geoengineering.  Though
> I imagine it could suffer from some of the same challenges as biophysical
> research does of how to conduct controlled experiments (on whiter skies, for
> example— quite expensive to design a simulation of this in the lab).  All of
> these fields bring up where you draw the boundaries of "nature", and whether
> an engineered nature "counts" or affects people in the same way as
> non-engineered nature.  Personally I'm not too fond of the nature / culture
> binary, and believe we could build biophilic cities or engineer beautiful
> natures if we wanted to.
     [RWL3:   I have read quite a few articles on biochar along this biophilic
line.  I’ll have to think more on the "nature/culture binary”.  I guess no-one
has yet commented on this list on the “fact” that marijuana culture (different
sense of that word I think) in Colorado (my home state) is heavily into using
biochar as a base soil.  The many marijuana greenhouses we have seen on TV
probably count as “biophilic”.

> Speaking of Roszak, I think his 1969 classing The Making of a Counter
> Culture, in which he coins the term "technocracy", would be worth revising
> with regards to geoengineering— at least understanding opposition to /
> discomfort with it and the perceived technocratic forces behind it.
    [RWL4:  This to acknowledge Jim Fleming’s correction on earlier uses.  I
will try to get back to this - but so far think Roszak may be helpful on the
psychology end - which should be helpful to anyone interested in either selling
or tearing down any part of geoengineering.  Maybe also on gender issues.
      I don’t want to get into this too far, but have to note that our two US
political parties have a close gender correlation in membership and climate
beliefs.  I guess maybe similarly in higher degree for the tea party wing?

   Sorry I couldn’t spend more time on these several topics.  Again, Holly,
thanks.      Ron