Greg,  Ms.  Talberg,  etal

1.  To repeat the original question posed by MIT, and for which Ms. Anita
Talberg ("Neetberg") sent this list an invitation:
        "How can research into climate engineering be governed to limit its
environmental and political risks?"

2.  I suggest that few will want to respond because the terms SRM and CDR are
never mentioned.  The CDR approach I work on is is undergoing a great deal of
research, both government and private funded - and having either zero (in the
case of backyard testing) or  minor difficulties with (local - not
international) governance issues.   The subject of risks is rarely mentioned -
and are assumed by the researchers/users.  The environmental and political
risks we talk about are in not pursuing this approach.  We would welcome a
dialog with those who see any type of risk - as we are thinking benefits - and
benefits also outside the atmospheric realm.  I can imagine some brave SRM
folks could enter as stated, but they would be asking for a lot of grief
talking about a dozen other technologies different from their own - about which
they probably know little  (unless they repeat what has been said on this list
- no governance for some (not all) CDR approaches).

3.   I know of no group presently competent to cover governance of the whole
climate engineering field.  If you want dialog on SRM, best to say so. If you
think governance can be different for different approaches, then ask for
discussion of that.   So,  I suggest that if you want any reasonable entries on
this topic, you avoid an umbrella term such as "climate engineering".

Ron