CLIMATE:
National strategy needed for historic sites at risk from warming -- report

Emily Yehle, E&E reporter

Published: Tuesday, May 20, 2014

By the end of this century, rising sea levels will likely leave Jamestown under
the ocean, almost 500 years after it became the first permanent English
settlement in the Americas.

In a new
report<http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/impacts/national-landmarks-at-risk-from-climate-change.html>
 released today, the Union of Concerned Scientists warns that the landmark is
only one of hundreds of historic sites at risk due to climate change. Some will
be swallowed by rising seas, others destroyed by frequent wildfires and still
others washed away in floods, according to the report.

UCS joined archaeologists and local officials at a congressional briefing today
to underscore the importance of creating a national plan to preserve such sites
-- and establishing the funding to go along with it. Their efforts come as
Congress considers how to best pay the increasing costs of wildfire
suppression, as fires burn longer, hotter and more frequently on public lands.

Such fires destroy more than trees and vegetation -- they damage historical
sites that have withstood centuries of less extreme weather. At Bandelier
National Monument in New Mexico, for example, fires have impacted more than
1,000 archaeological sites, including the Ancestral Puebloan ruins.

"What's been remarkable is to see how quickly things have been changing," said
Adam Markham, director of climate impacts at UCS. "It's really been quite
shocking to see all the damage."

The report details 17 case studies, in what its authors emphasized was just
"the tip of the iceberg." They range from Annapolis, Md.'s historic district,
where severe flooding threatens 18th-century buildings, to the Bering Land
Bridge National Preserve in Alaska, where archaeological sites documenting the
first human migration to North America are threatened by coastal erosion.

But at today's briefing, Jeffrey Altschul, president of the Society for
American Archaeology, warned against the "Save Our Lighthouse" approach, where
sites are saved individually as they become threatened. That is more expensive
in the long run, he said, and ignores the reality that some sites are more
worth saving than others.

"It's time to engage in a different conversation," he said. "What sites do we
want to save? What are we willing to let go?"

Email: eye...@eenews.net<mailto:eye...@eenews.net>