On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 5:09 AM, M V Bhaskar <bhaskarmv...@gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Fertilizing the oceans to restore fisheries is NOT prohibited, that is why
> the Haida Salmon Restoration Project is perfectly legal.

I hope you are right.  There is a bit of a question there.  I suppose
as long as they are doing it to increase the Salmon catch and not for
geoengineering it's legal.

> They are on the
> right path, I hope more people do similar projects.

I hope so too.

> Deep sea fishing fleets go out with empty holds and return with the holds
> full of fish.
> They can easily carry Iron for fertilization and empty these in the fishing
> areas, before they start to fish.

Agree with you.  It's something that could be done without governments
because the ratio of the cost of iron to the value of what they get
back is so high.  Social pressure might be enough to get people to do
it and not just freeload on others.

> Regards
>
> Bhaskar
>

> On Sunday, 22 June 2014 14:58:31 UTC+5:30, andrewjlockley wrote:
>>
>> Approx 100MT annual catch
>> Approx 1 part in 100000 is iron
>> Therefore need to replace 1000t iron pa into ocean ecosystems. But iron
>> isn't a limiting nutrient everywhere, so perhaps far less.
>>
>> Should boats be tipping NPK fertiliser over the side, too? Far larger
>> volumes are required.

These are not often limiting.

>> Marine reserves are likely a better way to protect ecosystems.

This isn't protecting ecosystems, this is just fertilizing the ocean
to increase the fish catch.  Should not have been painted as
geoengineering in the first place.

Best wishes,

Keith