From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [geoengineering@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of Peter Flynn [peter.fl...@ualberta.ca]
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:35 AM
To: andrew.lock...@gmail.com; geoengineering
Subject: RE: [geo] The flawed appeal of unilateral Direct Air Capture programs
to prevent climate change | Deich

I find it discouraging that so much commentary on climate change and its
subset, geoengineering, is focused on “that won’t work”, with its subset, “how
will we govern that”. I think of World War II, where humans found ways to take
action with a smaller chorus of negativity.

One constant element in such commentary is that any action (sometimes even
research) will decrease the incentive for emissions reduction, and hence such
action should be not taken. I reflect on King Canute who, when wanting to
convince subjects of the limitations of his power, went to the surf and ordered
the tide not to come in. Let those convinced of the reliable efficacy of CDR
travel to China and India to convince the masses that they shouldn’t buy a car,
and report back. I hope we can reduce worldwide emissions, but saying we
shouldn’t have research and demonstration of thoughtful contingency options
strikes me as reckless.

I would love to see a demonstration scale direct capture program in any
country; it would add to the body of knowledge about the numerous choices that
lie in the future. Ditto re a biochar demonstration scale project. Ditto re
many others. And I would love to see some of the energy that goes into
seemingly endless discussions of governance shift into populating our knowledge
of options.

Peter Flynn

Peter Flynn, P. Eng., Ph. D.
Emeritus Professor and Poole Chair in Management for Engineers
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Alberta
peter.fl...@ualberta.ca<mailto:peter.fl...@ualberta.ca>
cell: 928 451 4455