I agree with the theoretical proposition that this could be a cause of
high-level state-to-state conflict, but it should also be recognized that
there are a number of factors that tend to make this an unlikely scenario
and should not deter or delay research.

* Attribution is always likely to be controversial and debatable (natural
variation...) and thus a weak foundation for making threats that will be
extremely unpopular in the rest of the world.
* The potential harm, while severe, is not as direct, immediate, tangible,
and incontrovertible as a tank division rolling across a border or a ship
getting sunk.  Nations have swallowed very significant insults to their
interests for the last 70 years without resorting to nuclear weapons.
* By the time any geoengineering scheme is actually implemented it will
have been governanced and NGO'd to death.

If the argument is that we should avoid research into potentially
beneficial schemes that might cause high-level state conflict 30 or 50
years from now, there are a lot of other potentially beneficial areas of
research that might also cause severe conflict fifty years from now and
should also be banned.

ᐧ