Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reference to* “Climate engineering reconsidered"*. Nature
Climate Change, 4 (7) pp. 527-529. ISSN 1758-678X DOI: 10.1038/nclimate2278
[1].

There is a fundamental flaw in their argument against SRM in any
circumstance.

The section on averting disasters fails to consider that geoengineering
might be the only way to prevent certain disasters which would be
absolutely catastrophic for humanity.  Do they think that disasters on such
a scale are impossible?

For example, in the case of Amazon forest die-back from excessive drought,
geoengineering might be the only way to prevent it.  And die-back and burn
would put so much CO2 into the atmosphere, that dangerous global warming
could not be avoided.

In the case of the Arctic, they fail to mention the obvious threat of sea
ice seasonal disappearance, which could happen in just a few decades
according to the latest climate models or just a few years according to the
observed trend in September volume decline.  Why do they not mention this?
Is it because they think it can't happen?  Or is it because their argument
against geoengineering falls down, so they don't want to talk about it?
Geoengineering will almost certainly required to cool the Arctic enough to
prevent the Arctic Ocean getting locked into a low-ice state, risking
catastrophic consequences for sea level rise, climate change and methane
feedback.  Do they not realise this?  Or do they think a disaster to
threaten all humanity simply can't happen?

I would love to believe that nothing so catastrophic could threaten us all
so soon, but surely governments should be warned of the real possibility
and prepare for intervention to stave off disaster.

Cheers, John

[1] No fee version at:
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/60824/1/__lse.ac.uk_storage_LIBRARY_Secondary_libfile_shared_repository_Content_Tavoni,%20A_Climate%20engineering_Tavoni_Climate%20engineering_2015.pdf