The article which Andrew posted was from
http://www.centerforcarbonremoval.org/blog/2015/9/7/reduce-recycle-and-clean-up-what-waste-management-can-teach-us-about-controlling-carbon-emissions
and my previous comment was posted there briefly last weekend but all
comments have now been removed.

Attached graphic is from the same article, which I referred to in my
comment.  It is derived from the familiar "reduce - reuse - recycle" which
I see as a milestone on the way to what is now called a "circular economy".
Noah Deich's analogy between managing solid waste and managing the CO2 in
the atmosphere is instructive but my point is that his cycle is not a
cycle: just as burying the residue of solid waste is a dead-end, so is
burying CO2. I see no persuasive case made that putting CO2 in underground
pressurized storage is either safe or, as importantly, a sensible
destination for a valuable resource. The roster of carbon removal solutions
on offer at centerforcarbonremoval.org includes passing reference to soil
sequestration, but the catch-phrase "carbon landfilling" tips us off that
earth's natural carbon cycle is not being taken seriously.

Brian