Hi Greg,

Yes, it is the balance between emissions and removal which has to be
changed.  Hansen says the CO2 level has to be at or below 350ppm, which is
what it was thirty years ago - with 400ppm for the CO2eq level.  The Earth
System is extremely unlikely to return of its own accord to conditions of
the Holocene norm, even with CO2 level reduced, because of what is
happening in the Arctic.  We can see from the history of the planet over
the past few million years, how the Holocene was anomalously calm, and we
can expect the Earth System to lurch towards violent change if it is not
wrestled back towards the Holocene norm, with Arctic albedo as well as
greenhouse gases restored to the levels they were, thirty years ago.  Only
then can we be confident of safe and sustainable conditions for future
generations.

Cheers, John