From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Andrew Lockley
Sent: woensdag 6 juli 2016 1:04
To: geoengineering
Subject: [geo] The Carbonate Solution, Part 2:

Poster's note : appears to ignore a) grinding energy and b) recent work on
ocean pipes

http://www.theenergycollective.com/roger-arnold/2381903/the-carbonate-solution-part-2-other-approaches

The Carbonate Solution, Part 2: Other Approaches

July 4, 2016 by Roger Arnold 8

Beyond the “brute force” approach that I wrote about last week, I want to cover
three other ways to exploit the chemistries of common carbonate minerals for
large scale carbon capture and storage. They are less direct, and each has its
own issues, but all three are much more energy-efficient than brute force
calcination of limestone. The latter takes 3.17 gigajoules (GJ) minimum per
tonne of calcium carbonate, and more like 4.5 to 6 GJ per tonne in practice.
The alternatives have no corresponding theoretical minima that can be readily
calculated, but practical needs should be at least a factor of 10 lower.

CCS for coastal power plants

In a CCS approach advocated by researchers at Stanford, UCSC, and LLNL, [q.v.]
flue gas from a power plant is distributed and piped upward through a large bed
of crushed limestone. The limestone is wetted by a flow of seawater trickling
downward. CO₂ in the flue gas acidifies the flow, enabling it to dissolve
calcium carbonate from the limestone surface. Upon dissolving, the carbonate
ions (CO₃²⁻) take up hydrogen ions, becoming bicarbonate ions (HCO₃⁻). That
neutralizes carbonic acid, enabling more CO₂ to dissolve. The dissolved CO₂
makes more carbonic acid, which in turn dissolves more CaCO₃. At the bottom of
the bed, the water, now laden with calcium bicarbonate, is collected and sent
back to the ocean.

That’s probably enough explanation for most readers, but the figure below gives
a starting point for those interested in the physical chemistry. It’s a graph
of relative concentrations of dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) species (CO₂ /
H₂CO₃, HCO₃⁻, and CO₃²⁻) in water, as a function of pH. The shaded blue bar
shows the pH range of ocean waters, and the arrowhead shows how the range will
shift in response to increasing CO₂ concentrations in the atmosphere. From the
graph, we see that at a pH of 7,  the relative concentration of carbonate ions
is about 1%; that of neutral CO₂ / carbonic acid is about 8%, while the
remainder is bicarbonate.

By Karbonatsystem_Meerwasser_de.svg: User:BeAr derivative work: Meiyuchang
(Karbonatsystem_Meerwasser_de.svg) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Since the molar concentration of total DIC in seawater is only ~2.3 mmol /
liter to begin with, the concentration of carbonate ions in seawater at pH 7
would be an extremely low 23 μmol / liter. With such a low concentration, the
rate at which paired calcium and carbonate ions at the CaCO₃crystal surface
escape into solution will be very much greater than the rate at which calcium
and carbonate ions from solution will pair up on the surface; the solid CaCO₃
will dissolve.

The chief advantage of this approach to carbon mitigation is that it combines
capture and storage. It is energy-efficient and doesn’t present a significant
parasitic load on the power plant’s output. Also, the seawater used to irrigate
the limestone bed and capture CO₂ can be the same water that was used for
cooling. On the downside, the process consumes limestone at a high rate, and is
practical only for coastal power plants located close to sizable limestone
deposits.

To see that in quantitative terms, consider the overall reaction that this
process implements. In the case of a coal-fired power plant, it’s:

C + O₂ + H₂O + CaCO₃ → Ca(HCO₃)₂ + energy

To a first approximation, coal can be taken as pure carbon, with a mass of 12
grams per mole. Limestone can be taken as pure calcium carbonate, with a mass
of 100 grams per mole. That means that for every ton of coal burned, 8.3 tons
of limestone are also consumed.

In practice, consumption would be closer to 6 tons of limestone, since coal is
not pure carbon and not all of the CO₂ produced in burning it can be captured.
But 6 tons of limestone per ton of coal is still a lot. It’s not that there’s
any shortage of it in the world; limestone is hundreds of times more abundant
than fossil carbon. But the logistics of mining, crushing, and transporting the
required amounts are daunting. Consider: a large coal-fired power plant
consumes one trainload of coal each day; this scheme would add six trainloads
of limestone per day on top of that. Every four hours, a full trainload of
crushed limestone would need to be added to the limestone bed to replace what
was dissolved in the preceding four hours! That’s perhaps not impossible, but
it will require a large limestone bed of at least several hectares..

For gas-fired power plants — which is most of what California has — the amount
of CO₂ per megawatt-hour is only half as great; the amount of limestone
consumed in capturing and storing it would likewise be half as great. If the
plant were only used at an average duty cycle of 30% for backing wind and
solar, it could get by with “only” one trainload of limestone per day. Given
that this approach is one of the most efficient ways to capture and store CO₂
from gas or coal-fired power plants, the figure of one trainload of limestone
per day to capture the carbon emissions from a single large gas-fired plant
used merely to back wind and solar resources is sobering. It gives one a feel
for the scale of the carbon emissions problem.

Ocean capture

The main problem with the above approach is its limited scope. As noted, it’s
only applicable for coastal power plants within easy transport distance of
limestone beds. There are more of those than one might think, but in the
context of total anthropogenic carbon emissions, they’re not that significant.
Completely capturing and storing their CO₂ would only reduce total fossil
carbon emissions by perhaps 2%. Is there a way to do better? In principle,
there is. However it requires — among other things– a different approach to
dissolving CaCO₃.

Although CaCO₃, isn’t soluble in surface seawater at pH of 7.8 or higher, it
becomes soluble at higher pressures and lower temperatures — conditions that
can be found in the deep waters of the ocean. That suggests the possibility of
simply dumping freighter loads of crushed chalk or limestone into deep ocean
waters around the world. The dumped material would dissolve and natural
carbonate to bicarbonate conversion would raise the pH in the deep waters. When
those waters reached the surface, they would draw CO₂ from the atmosphere.
Would that work?

Yes and no. With a carbon tax, the economics could possibly work. The ratio of
crushed limestone to captured CO₂ is about 9:4. A carbon tax of $30 / tonne of
CO₂ — toward the low side of what’s often mooted — would translate to $13.50 /
tonne of limestone quarried, crushed, and shipped to a deep ocean area. That’s
probably not out of reach for profitability for a large scale operation. But
the timescale doesn’t work. The natural timescale for deep water alkalinity to
migrate to surface waters is upward of 1000 years. No help over the next few
centuries, let alone the next few decades.

There’s a possible way around the timescale problem that would be worth trying.
 That’s to float a large diameter vertical pipeline in the ocean to pump cold
water from the depths where the chalk and limestone dissolve up to the surface.
As it happens, that’s also exactly what’s needed for an Ocean Thermal Energy
Conversion (OTEC) power plant. So the system could be designed as a renewable
energy resource while simultaneously countering ocean acidification, removing
CO₂ from the atmosphere, and lowering global temperatures.

I won’t go into details here, but I believe there’s a way to engineer a deep
cold water pipe that would have very low capital and operational costs relative
to capacity. The design I’m thinking of, if workable, would go a long way
toward making OTEC installations economically feasible. An interesting feature,
in the context of this discussion, is that a good part of the energy needed to
lift the denser cold water to near the surface could be supplied by a bucket
conveyor running beside the cold water pipe. It would carry crushed chalk and
limestone to depths at which it would dissolve, generating power in the process.

It’s unlikely that the arrangement could generate any net power, because after
dissolving, most of material lowered by the conveyor would be carried back up
the cold water pipe. But it would at least reduce the amount of power diverted
from the OTEC generators to drive the flow up the cold water pipe. And it might
possibly do more than that: a small amount of heat is released by the
dissolution of solid carbonate minerals and conversion to bicarbonates. I
believe it’s only enough to warm the ascending water flow by a couple of
degrees, but that’s enough to lift the water through the lowest two kilometers
of the pipe before pumping energy would need to be supplied.

I need to run more calculations to quantify the parameters for this type of
extended OTEC system. But I haven’t figured out a good way to quantify what
could be the system’s most important climate effect: the lowering of surface
water temperatures in the down-current vicinity of the platform. If it’s able
to reduce the absolute humidity of the air blowing over the cooler surface
water, the reduced greenhouse effect from that air mass could be important for
mitigating global warming. It could conceivably be more important than the
captured CO₂. At this point, I simply don’t know.

One thing that is easy to calculate, however, is the total amount of chalk and
limestone that would ultimately need to be consumed annually, if this approach
were used to capture and store the entire 40 annual gigatonnes of anthropogenic
CO₂ emissions. It comes to 91 gigatonnes. For context, the Wikipedia article on
bulk carriers cites 2005 data for the total tonnage of all bulk cargo shipments
worldwide as 1.7 gigatonnes. So we’re looking at more than a 50-fold increase
over that number, just for hauling crushed chalk and limestone from quarry
sites to extended OTEC stations.

Accelerated weathering in soils

The final carbonate chemistry approach to CCS that I want to cover is a bit
different. It uses the soils in warm tropical regions rather than the oceans
for air capture and storage of CO₂. Instead of dissolving limestone, it uses
the natural alkalinity of olivine and other ultramafic silicates found in
basalt rocks to mineralize and permanently sequester CO₂.

Olivines have the generic formula (Mg²⁺, Fe²⁺)₂SiO₄. The notation (Mg²⁺, Fe²⁺)
indicates a mix of magnesium and iron atoms in the +2 oxidation state. In the
case where the mix is 100% magnesium (Mg₂SiO₄) the weathering reaction can be
represented simply as:

Mg₂SiO₂ + 4CO₂ + 2H₂O → 2Mg²⁺ + 4HCO₃⁻ + H₄SiO₄

The products on the right hand side are soluble. In weathering by naturally
acidified rainfall, they’re removed by the runoff water as magnesium
bicarbonate and silicic acid.  The latter, when it reaches the ocean,
fertilizes the growth of siliceous phytoplankton know as diatoms.

Accelerated weathering has received substantial academic and some commercial
attention. One of its most active proponents is Dr. Olaf Schuiling of the
University of Utrecht, Netherlands. In addition to his own research and
published papers, he started the Olivine Foundation, which maintains the
SmartStones website. I won’t attempt to summarize a very large topic that is
well-covered elsewhere (e.g., here), but there’s one particular approach that I
find interesting. It’s one that has been dismissed as nice in theory, but not
practical. It’s the spreading of serpentine sand or crushed ultramafic minerals
over soils where they will rapidly weather.

Forest soils in warm, wet climates are ideal places for accelerated weathering
to take place. Due to decomposition of leaf litter and other dead organic
matter, the CO₂ concentration in such soils can be quite high. In fact, it can
approach the concentration found in flue gases from a power plant. That means
that the CO₂-induced acidity of liquid water in these soils is many times
higher than it is in raindrops. That makes for a high rate of chemical
weathering for any rock particles that happen to be present.

If olivine sand or similar crushed minerals could be spread over the forest
floors, it would build up and fertilize the soil while soaking up much of the
CO₂ that would otherwise be released by decay of plant matter. But there is no
existing way to do that efficiently and economically. The sheer amount of
material and the vast areas over which it would need to be distributed before
it could make a real difference have relegated the approach to the “neat idea,
but..” category.

I may have a solution for that. Again, it’s too much to write about here, but I
may have more to say about it after I’ve done some more homework.

Conclusions

What I’ve tried to show in this series of postings is in part just the sheer
magnitude of the CCS challenge. There are a range of technically feasible
approaches, but even the best of them involve a degree of capital investment
and operations that are staggering, if the approach is implemented at the scale
needed to offset all emissions.

It makes sense to do what we reasonably can with resources available; a carbon
tax would make many of these approaches profitable. But it will come as no
surprise to opponents of CCS that the main thrust of world mitigation efforts
still needs to be reducing our use of fossil carbon in the first place.

I don’t personally care much whether the reduction is achieved through
conservation and energy efficiency, renewables, or nuclear power. Common sense
would dictate focusing our resources on what will give us the most mitigation
“bang” for the buck. But political feasibility does factor in, and in any case
there won’t be any one silver bullet. The problem of decarbonization and the
urgency of moving on it are such that an “all of the above” approach will be
necessary