Folks:

Here is a layman's summary of an accepted and online-as-draft article that I
co-wrote with Josh Sarnoff and Jorge Contreras.

Cheers
-Jesse

http://editions.lib.umn.edu/mjlst/2016/04/27/solar-climate-engineering-and-intellectual-property/

Solar Climate Engineering And Intellectual Property
April 27, 2016
Jesse L. Reynolds
Postdoctoral researcher, and Research funding coordinator, sustainability and
climate
Department of European and International Public Law, Tilburg Law School

Climate change has been the focus of much legal and policy activity in the last
year: the Paris Agreement<https://blog.uvt.nl/environmentallaw/?p=139>, the
Urgenda ruling in the Netherlands<https://blog.uvt.nl/environmentallaw/?p=109>,
aggressive climate targets in China's latest five year
plan<http://www.wri.org/blog/2016/03/5-questions-what-does-chinas-new-five-year-plan-mean-climate-action>,
 the release of the final US Clean Power
Plan<http://legal-planet.org/tag/clean-power-plan/>, and the legal challenge to
it. Not surprisingly, these each concern controlling greenhouse gas emissions,
the approach that has long dominated efforts to reduce climate change risks.

Yet last week, an alternative approach received a major-but little
noticed-boost. For the first time, a federal budget bill included an allocation
specifically for so-called "solar climate
engineering."<http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/fight-global-warming-senate-calls-study-making-earth-reflect-more-light>
 This set of radical proposed technologies would address climate change by
reducing the amount of incoming solar radiation. These would globally cool the
planet, counteracting global warming. For example, humans might be able to
mimic the well-known cooling caused by large volcanos via injecting a
reflective aerosol into the upper atmosphere. Research thus far - which has
been limited to modeling - indicates that solar climate engineering (SCE) would
be effective at reducing climate change, rapidly felt, reversible in its direct
climatic effects, and remarkably inexpensive. It would also pose risks that are
both environmental - such as difficult-to-predict changes to rainfall patterns
- and social - such as the potential for international disagreement regarding
its implementation.

The potential role of private actors in SCE is unclear. On the one hand,
decisions regarding whether and how to intentionally alter the planet's climate
should be made through legitimate state-based processes. On the other hand, the
private sector has long been the site of great innovation, which SCE technology
development requires. Such private innovation is both stimulated and governed
through governmental intellectual property (IP) policies. Notably, SCE is not a
typical emerging technology and might warrant novel IP policies. For example,
some observers have argued that SCE should be a patent-free endeavor.

In order to clarify the potential role of IP in SCE (focusing on patents, trade
secrets, and research data), Jorge Contreras of the University of Utah, Joshua
Sarnoff of DePaul University, and I wrote an article that was recently accepted
and scheduled for
publication<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2753833> by the
Minnesota Journal of Law, Science &
Technology<http://scholarship.law.umn.edu/mjlst/>. The article explains the
need for coordinated and open licensing and data sharing policies in the SCE
technology space.

SCE research today is occurring primarily at universities and other traditional
research institutions, largely through public funding. However, we predict that
private actors are likely to play a growing role in developing products and
services to serve large scale SCE research and implementation, most likely
through public procurement arrangements. The prospect of such future innovation
should be not stifled through restrictive IP policies. At the same time, we
identify several potential challenges for SCE technology research, development,
and deployment that are related to rights in IP and data for such technologies.
Some of these challenges have been seen in regard to other emerging
technologies, such as the risk that excessive early patenting would lead to a
patent thicket with attendant anti-commons effects. Others are more particular
to SCE, such as oft-expressed concerns that holders of valuable patents might
unduly attempt to influence public policy regarding SCE implementation.
Fortunately, a review of existing patents, policies, and practices reveals a
current opportunity that may soon be lost. There are presently only a handful
of SCE-specific patents; research is being undertaken transparently and at
traditional institutions; and SCE researchers are generally sharing their data.

After reviewing various options and proposals, we make tentative suggestions to
manage SCE IP and data. First, an open technical framework for SCE data sharing
should be established. Second, SCE researchers and their institutions should
develop and join an IP pledge community. They would pledge, among other things,
to not assert SCE patents to block legitimate SCE research and development
activities, to share their data, to publish in peer reviewed scientific
journals, and to not retain valuable technical information as trade secrets.
Third, an international panel-ideally with representatives from relevant
national and regional patent offices-should monitor and assess SCE patenting
activity and make policy recommendations. We believe that such policies could
head off potential problems regarding SCE IP rights and data sharing, yet could
feasibly be implemented within a relatively short time span.

Our article, "Solar Climate Engineering and Intellectual Property: Toward a
Research Commons," is available
online<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2753833> as a
preliminary version. We welcome comments, especially in the next couple months
as we revise it for publication later this year.

Jesse Reynolds
Postdoctoral researcher, and Research funding coordinator, sustainability and
climate
Department of European and International Public Law, Tilburg Law School
Tilburg Sustainability Center
Tilburg University
Book reviews editor, Law, Innovation, and Technology
E-mail j.l.reyno...@uvt.nl<mailto:j.l.reyno...@uvt.nl>
Web http://jessereynolds.org<http://jessereynolds.org/>
Tel +31 (0) 13 466 2030

My latest publication: "The International Politics of Climate Engineering: A
Review and Prospectus for International
Relations<http://isr.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/03/17/isr.viv013.abstract?ijkey=aulyd7pTmTao0SK&keytype=ref>"
 in International Studies Review