Finally put up something on Dot Earth drawing attention to the Medium.com
conversation on geo-eng.

T 18 5:32 PM Oct 18 5:32 pm Comment
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/can-humans-go-from-unintended-global-warming-to-climate-by-design/#commentsContainer>
Can Humans Go From Unintended Global Warming to Climate By Design?
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/can-humans-go-from-unintended-global-warming-to-climate-by-design/?module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog%20Main&contentCollection=Climate%20Change&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body>
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/author/andrew-c-revkin/>

   - Email
   - Share
   - Tweet

Photo
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/can-humans-go-from-unintended-global-warming-to-climate-by-design/>
Credit

Geoengineering
<http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/?action=click&contentCollection&region=TopBar&WT.nav=searchWidget&module=SearchSubmit&pgtype=Homepage#/geoengineering/>
is
in the wind more and more these days,particularly the use of sun-blocking
aerosols
<http://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/just-published/122687/2-degree-goal-and-question-geoengineering>
as
a cheap, temporary counterweight to greenhouse-gas-driven global warming.

In pondering the plausibility or desirability of such a tool, it might be
useful to start with a thought experiment:

1) Suppose humans are not heating the climate and oceans through the
buildup of heat-trapping carbon dioxide. (This is only a thought experiment.
<http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/>)

2) Presume our capacity to understand Earth systems and devise
sophisticated technologies continues to build. (Keep in mind this isn’t a
given if budget priorities don’t shift
<http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/business-leaders-agree-u-s-funding-of-basic-research-advances-prosperity-security-well-being/>
.)

3) Consider the cost, in lives and money, exacted by today’s climatic
extremes, let alone those worsened by warming. Many such costs can be
reduced by developing suitable crops and water systems or
building resilient communities. But not all. Then, on a very long time
scale, consider the prospect of an inevitable new ice age
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/the-next-ice-age-and-the-anthropocene/>
.

Sifting these notions, it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that there will
almost certainly come a moment when humans will start*designing* our
climate and not simply perpetually adapt to its vagaries.

On a small scale, there’s already weather modification, from the Midwest
<http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/Ward-County-commissioners-vote-to-bring-weather-modification-into-2017-budget-395866161.html>
 to China <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-weather-idUSKCN0ZU0CE>.
Researchers are even examining ways
<http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/february/hurricane-winds-turbine-022614.html>
 to stifle hurricanes
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/20121024/hurricanes-global-warming-climate-change-scientists-cloud-seeding-geoengineering-storms-temperatures>.
In the long run, you can be sure that humanity will do everything it can to
avert an ice age
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/the-next-ice-age-and-the-anthropocene/>,
given the challenge of sustaining civilization with advancing miles-high
ice sheets. (Revisit Thornton Wilder’s “Skin of Our Teeth
<http://bit.ly/skinofourteeth>” for a surreal view of this challenge
<https://www.bu.edu/today/2013/skin-of-our-teeth-illuminates-mans-resilience/>
.)

So far, humanity’s main climate intervention, through emissions of vast
amounts of greenhouse gases, has been an unintended consequence of pursuing
the most convenient energy choice — fossil fuels.

Efforts to curb that pulse of gases haven’t amounted to much, even
with the Paris
Agreement
<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/10/05/world/europe/ap-un-united-nations-climate-change.html>
 taking legal force on Nov. 4
<http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/blog/2016/10/paris-climate-agreement-to-enter-into-force-on-4-november/>
.

With all of this in mind, it could be argued that the momentum driving
global warming is simply speeding the journey toward an inevitable juncture
when we will start engineering the climate.

We’ve been terrible at managing emissions. Can we shift from unintended
global warming to managing climate by design?

Welcome to the geoengineering debate.

I encourage anyone interested in climate change science and policy to read
on for the rich discussion of geoengineering that follows, involving some
of the analysts and scientists most involved in examining next steps. They
include Oliver Morton
<https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/11/its-time-to-start-talking-about-geoengineering/414283/>
of
The Economist, Raymond Pierrehumbert
<https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/contacts/people/pierrehumbert> of Oxford
University, and Gernot Wagner and David Keith
<http://keith.seas.harvard.edu/people/gernot-wagner> of Harvard.

The specific focus here is whether recent scientific conclusions about
the inevitability
of thousands of years of global warming
<http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v6/n4/full/nclimate2923.html> have
left out possible interventions involving brightening the planet to reflect
some incoming solar energy. READ MORE…
<http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/can-humans-go-from-unintended-global-warming-to-climate-by-design/?module=BlogPost-ReadMore&version=Blog%20Main&action=Click&contentCollection=Climate%20Change&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body#more-58238>

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Andrew Lockley <andrew.lock...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> https://medium.com/@revkin/geoengineering-proponents-
> challenge-the-inevitability-of-multi-millennial-global-
> warming-cef6e54b365c#.ozexiicbo
>
> Scientists Focused on Geoengineering Challenge the Inevitability of
> Multi-Millennial Global Warming
>
> I encourage anyone interested in climate change science and policy to
> explore the rich discussion below aboutgeoengineering, in this case mainly
> focused on managing incoming solar radiation to counter CO2-driven global
> warming. I have long rejected the utility of a focus on this response to
> global warming because I still can’t imagine a scenario in which a single
> actor would initiate it or, in contrast, a global consensus could be
> reached on its deployment. (In many past posts, I’ve asked, “Who gets to
> set the global thermostat?”)
>
> But I’ve been shifting my thinking based on recent conversations with some
> of the authors below about the feasibility of incremental management of
> sun-blocking aerosols, even as warming aerosols contributing to
> conventional air pollution are reduced. See the postscript. I still see
> scant prospects for action, but the conversation is vital. (A good separate
> starting point is this National Research Council report: “Climate
> Intervention: Reflecting Sunlight to Cool Earth.”)
>
> The context of this chat was a paper published early this year on the long
> commitment to climate change, as explored on Dot Earth. This exchange was
> prompted by this tweet by Gernot Wagner of Harvard:
>
> Oliver Morton, author of “The Planet Remade: How Geoengineering Could
> Change the World”
>
> You were kind enough to ask on Twitterwhat I thought, in the context of
> geoengineering, of the Clark et al. Nature Climate Change perspective on
> deep-time consequences of 21st century climate policy and the Dot Earth
> post to which it led. I think the paper is fascinating but also somewhat
> frustrating, so I thought I’d take the opportunity your inquiry provided to
> think through some of the issues in rather more detail than twitter allows.
> (I’m cc’ing various people who have a stake in this, including some authors
> on the NCC paper who I have come across in the past….)
>
> I agree with the authors that taking a view measured in millennia is an
> appropriate, and underappreciated, part of assessing the impacts of
> anthropogenic climate change and the need for climate action; I also agree
> with their conclusion (and starting point) that a zero-net-emissions human
> world is a desirable target. And it is inspiring to see such progress being
> made in the detail with which models of ice sheet dynamics and other forms
> of change can be applied to the moderately far future.
>
> But I have a problem with the way in which, while discussing some
> plausible — if far from inevitable — forms of technological change, the
> authors choose to ignore others. They repeatedly describe change on the
> [...]

*_*

ANDREW C. REVKIN
Dot Earth blogger <http://www.nytimes.com/dotearth>, The New York Times
Senior Fellow <http://www.pace.edu/paaes/faculty-and-staff>, Dyson College
Institute for Sustainability and the Environment, Pace University

Cell: 914-441-5556 Fax: 914-989-8009
Twitter: @revkin <http://twitter.com/revkin> Skype: Andrew.Revkin
Music: "A Very Fine Line <http://veryfinelines.com>" CD