Dear Michael--

I'd suggest that your summary of the situation is not how I would characterize the situation, so I'll try rewriting to indicate my view of the situation.

1. CCS is Carbon Capture and Storage and refers to capturing the CO2 in the exhaust stream of a fossil fuel burning facility and storing it. Yes, CCS is expensive compared to the income generated by that fossil-fuel burning facility, probably costing roughly a third of income. As you then note, this also ignores the external costs of the CO2 emissions--were these to be added in to the analysis, it might make going ahead with CCS more justifiable, but quite likely the combined analysis would show that coal- and shale- and even oil and natural gas plants should just be closed and replaced with wind and solar on an economic basis, and this is happening, but far too slowly--and in consideration of external costs and the shift to wind and solar should be more greatly incentivized.

2. CCS is not usually considered to be geoengineering--rather, it is mitigation. Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR) refers to increasing the sinks of CO2 once it has been distributed into the atmosphere. This can be done by regrowing and/or expanding forests, burying biomass carbon that has been burned to be charcoal (biochar) or similar (doable at reasonable cost, but hard to do in large amounts compared to current emissions). I am not quite sure how you justify saying that we know the climatic effects of removing the CO2 when for SRM you say we apparently end up with unpredictable outcomes when we remove the same amount of energy as by removing CO2 to reduce the intensity of the greenhouse effect. Yes, we have had a world with lower CO2 and so have a sense of what that would be like--basically going back to a time when the extra CO2 forcing caused effects that were less than the naturally induced factors of solar and volcanic forcing and land cover change (and the ongoing changes in orbital forcing over the longer term). I think what we might agree on is that we'll be going back to having the distributions of the weather back within a range that we are more used to (in the sense that the Hansen et al. paper talked about the distribution of the summer average weather, etc. in a paper a few years ago.

3. On SRM, it is generally agreed that its cost would be small compared to mitigation and to the time and effort to remove the CO2--so it is inexpensive, which is what makes this whole issue so challenging. I also do not agree that the climatic effects are unknown or really even unfamiliar (unless you are thinking of some case going to four times CO2 and then trying to crash back to the 19th century climate). Assuming that we are shaving off the top of a warming curve that is going up to say 3 C and then back down due to ending of CO2 emissions, and so gradually turning up CO2 and then phase it out gradually), the whole notion is that we would be pushing the climate back toward the envelope of conditions that we have had over the last several decades--having a bit dimmer sun to counter the energy being trapped by the increased GHGs. The match may not be perfect, but it would very likely be a lot less disruptive than the continually changing situation as GHG concentrations keep going up and down without SRM.

4. On Pinatubo, that was a sudden quite large pulse effect rather than the gradual change that I am suggesting would be the likely policy action--and while Pinatubo had some impacts, not at all so severe that there was substantial disruption. As to the rest of your views on Pinatubo, I really do need to take exception. Yes, some warming over very cold Asia was found from Pinatubo, but I don't think warmer than where we are now. Also, if one goes back and considers lessons from paleoclimatic records, when the orbital configuration was such that summer radiation was a bit lower and winter radiation was actually up a bit that the glaciers built up on the northern hemisphere continents because winter was warm enough for substantial snows to occur and summers were cool enough that not all of the snow melted (especially in mountainous areas). As to sea ice cover, it would also likely build up--as I noted the warm anomaly in winter due to Pinatubo had conditions still well below freezing. So, I just don't at all agree with your portrayal of the SRM situation.

If I may venture then to comment on the philosophical points you made:

1. I agree that I would much prefer to bring the situation under control by stopping the intentional harm being done by GHG concentrations--clearly the preferred approach. However, we have delayed so long in taking suitable action that there will be very substantial climatic change and environmental and societal impacts (including especially very substantial and long-lasting sea level rise before cutting emissions could have virtually any influence. Neither CCS nor CDR can act quickly or fractionally enough to deal with the situation, and it can be a very expensive option as well--but we are in trouble even if we could go to zero emissions tomorrow, and this cannot happen as fossil fuels currently provide about 80% of the world's energy and so a huge number would die if we just stopped using fossil fuels. The Paris accord and commitments are commendable in getting unanimous participation, but they are very far short of limiting climate change to the indicated goals--even assuming the commitments are fulfilled, the likely warming is likely a good bit over 3 C, plus a high rate of loss from the ice sheets inundating cities and serious ocean acidification. I'd say the harm created is just far too large to be ignored and of far more seriousness than the comparatively much smaller problems associated with gradually ramped up SRM to shave off top warming (and the additional CO2 emissions that will be needed to keep people cool as the world goes through the higher temperatures).

I certainly do agree that research is needed on SRM, but not really so much that one waits decades before starting implementation as I just do not agree that uncertainties are anywhere near as large as proceeding along with warming without SRM. I will also agree, that in spite of this, I think there is a huge question about whether the public would be willing to jump to doing something additional, even if not portrayed as negatively as you portray the situation, whether because of your suggestion of the difference in a moral perspective or just the shear hubris of suggesting that doing something additional could make the situation less serious (even a lot less serious) than a continuing intensification of the trends we have had that people are at least trying to deal with.

Regards, Mike MacCracken