Poster's note - this is, by far, the best article on the Anthropocene I've
ever read - and the only one that puts it into a proper context

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/12/18/506036420/a-planet-with-brains-the-peril-and-potential-of-self-aware-geological-change?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

A Planet With Brains? The Peril And Potential Of Self-Aware Geological
Change
December 18, 20165:35 AM ET
Commentary

DAVID GRINSPOON
[image: Colorful geological layers are seen in northern Arizona's Paria
Canyon.]
Eric Hanson/Getty Images

Recent years have seen a vigorous debate over whether or not we have
entered a new epoch of geologic time, the "Anthropocene," characterized by
humanity as a new geologic force.

Much of this has centered over when this age began. Three candidates for
this include: an "Early Anthropocene" many thousand years ago when humans
first started large-scale modification of land and climate; the beginning
of the industrial revolution with its CO2 emissions; and the nuclear test
horizon. Choosing a single moment of origin may be less important than the
realization that we are now in it. However, the debate has been fruitful,
as all these candidates mark interesting steps in our journey from being
just another primate to becoming a dominant geological force.

As a planetary astrobiologist, I am focused on the major transitions in
planetary evolution and the evolving relationship between planets and life.
I want to frame our current time as a stage in the cosmic life of our
planet. What I wonder most about the Anthropocene is not when did it start
— but when, and how, will it end? Will it end? Or is it possible that our
own growing awareness of our role on Earth can itself play a pivotal role
in shaping the outcome toward one that we would desire?
Article continues after sponsorship
<http://www.npr.org/about-npr/186948703/corporate-sponsorship>

Although it has been proposed as a new epoch, we may in fact be
experiencing something much more unusual. Picture the "geologic time scale"
you've seen where the various phases of Earth's history are represented by
a sequence of different layers corresponding to the rocks from different
geological ages, with the most recent periods drawn at the top. New epochs
are actually rather common in Earth's history. They typically last for
millions of years. They are marked by the relatively thin layers in
geological time. Their boundaries are often characterized by episodes of
global change and extinction events. Much more rare and consequential are
the boundaries, separating the longest phases, the billion-year-scale
chunks of time called eons.

Geologists separate our planet's long history into only four eons. These
represent fundamental branching points which each left the world
permanently changed. I suspect we may now be at another of these pivotal
moments, and our planet may be at the beginning of its fifth eon, which I
propose we call the "Sapiezoic" (a hopeful, aspirational term meaning "age
of wisdom"). Because what we are observing are the effects of not only a
new geologic force, but a radically new type of geologic change. Never
before has a geological force become aware of its own influence.

The first eon is named the Hadean because it was pure hell, with leftover
debris from planet formation crashing down from space, erratically
smashing, churning and heating Earth's surface, making red-hot atmospheres
first of vaporized rock and then of boiling steam. Eventually, the cosmic
pounding subsided and the steam turned to rain, which filled the first
oceans.

The transition to Earth's second Eon, the Archean, came around 4 billion
years ago and corresponds roughly to the coming of stable habitable
conditions and the origin of life. Since then, biology has been a major
agent of geologic change.

Earth's third eon, the Proterozoic, beginning 2.5 billion years ago,
corresponds roughly to the Great Oxygenation Event when, chemically, life
took over the planet. In discovering solar energy, photosynthetic bacteria
began to flood the atmosphere with oxygen, a poisonous gas that caused mass
extinction, but also created the chemical conditions for animal respiration
and the protective ozone layer that allowed life to leave the oceans and
colonize the land.

Then, 540 million years ago, came the Cambrian Explosion — the sudden
appearance of complex, multicellular animal and plant life forms. This
enabled, among many other things, the evolution of intricate nervous
systems, elaborate behavior and learning. This explosion of biological
innovation is recognized as the beginning of the fourth and final (so far)
eon of Earth's history — the Phanerozoic Eon, which continues to this day.

Now, humans have become a dominant force of planetary change and, thus, we
may have entered an eon of post-biological evolution in which cognitive
systems have gained a powerful influence on the planet. The beginning of a
time when self-aware cognitive processes become a key part of the way the
planet functions is potentially as significant as the origin of life and
the pivotal changes marking the two other eon boundaries in Earth's history.

Yet to become a new eon, such a transition would require an additional
quality: great longevity. Can this new force possibly persist for millions
or billions of years? This is closely related to the subject of SETI (the
Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence), whose theorists have long
recognized that the number of technological civilizations in the universe
must be proportional to their average longevity. The literature of this
field is filled with discussion of the potential longevity of human-like
civilizations elsewhere in the galaxy. What exactly do we mean by
"human-like?" That is a wonderful question that connects questions of our
essential nature, our exceptionalism compared to the rest of life, and our
role on the planet. Can a civilization become integrated into the cyclic
functioning of its planet in a sustainable way? This implies a different
mode of interaction with the planet than is currently being exhibited by
"intelligent" life.

>From a systems perspective, the early stages of this transition are highly
unstable because global influence precedes global control. Such a system is
characterized by unstable positive feedbacks which threaten catastrophe.
Hence the dangers of our current "Anthropocene dilemma": We have global
influence without global self-control. However, global technological
influence clearly contains both peril and promise. Conscious awareness and
control can also be sources of stabilizing negative feedback. This merely
requires recognizing a problem and acting to fix it.

We've done this with our, so far, successful efforts to repair the ozone
layer. There are pathways by which this stabilizing cognitive phenomenon
could become a very long-lived and even permanent part of the Earth system.
This would require that we reach a stage where we have a deep understanding
of nature and an ability to forestall natural disasters, as well as the
deep self-understanding necessary to forestall self-imposed disasters. In
other words, it will require both technical and spiritual progress.

How does this affect the way we view our future? It reframes our task. And
it puts our immediate challenges over the next century, stabilizing
population and devising an energy system that can provide for the needs of
this population without wrecking the natural systems upon which we depend,
against the backdrop of a much longer-term challenge. Once we get over the
relatively short-term, century-scale threat of destabilizing fossil-fuel
induced climate change, we need to learn how to become a long-term
stabilizing factor on the planet. This will include: over the next several
hundred to thousand years, asteroid and comet defense; over the next
several tens of thousands of years, learning how to prevent ice ages and
natural episodes of dangerous global warming; over several billions of
years, compensating for the warming sun and preventing the inevitable
runaway global warming that will otherwise result from solar evolution.

Our current struggles and anxieties about the future must be faced with an
awareness of the very long view. We need to have a vision of the world we
want to create so that we can see ourselves as collaborators with future
generations in the project of shaping it.

The story of our species is one of overcoming existential risk through new
forms of cooperation and innovation. Our current dilemmas require these
same skills applied on new temporal and spatial scales. Although right now
we are initiating a mass extinction, in the long run, by preventing future
extinctions and prolonging the life of the biosphere, we could be the best
thing that ever happened to planet Earth.