http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa54e8/meta;jsessionid=F7240F0DDAFCFB0789696F103BF9C5DB.c3.iopscience.cld.iop.org

LETTER • OPEN ACCESS
Carbon dioxide removal and the futures market

D'Maris Coffman and Andrew Lockley

Published 23 January 2017 • © 2017 IOP Publishing Ltd
Environmental Research Letters <http://iopscience.iop.org/journal/1748-9326>
, Volume 12 <http://iopscience.iop.org/volume/1748-9326/12>,Number 1
<http://iopscience.iop.org/issue/1748-9326/12/1>
Focus on Negative Emissions Scenarios and Technologies
<http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/focus/Negative%20Emissions%20Scenarios%20and%20Technologies>
Abstract
<http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/focus/Negative%20Emissions%20Scenarios%20and%20Technologies>

Futures contracts are exchange-traded financial instruments that enable
parties to fix a price in advance, for later performance on a contract.
Forward contracts also entail future settlement, but they are traded
directly between two parties. Futures and forwards are used in commodities
trading, as producers seek financial security when planning production. We
discuss the potential use of futures contracts in Carbon Dioxide Removal
(CDR) markets; concluding that they have one principal advantage (near-term
price security to current polluters), and one principal disadvantage (a
combination of high price volatility and high trade volume means contracts
issued by the private sector may cause systemic economic risk).
Accordingly, we note the potential for the development of futures markets
in CDR, but urge caution about the prospects for market failure. In
particular, we consider the use of regulated markets: to ensure contracts
are more reliable, and that moral hazard is minimised. While regulation
offers increased assurances, we identify major insufficiencies with this
approach—finding it generally inadequate. In conclusion, we suggest that
only governments can realistically support long-term CDR futures markets.
We note existing long-term CDR plans by governments, and suggest the use of
state-backed futures for supporting these assurances.