But isn't the prime question - at least the one driving most discussions of
"emergency" actions up north - catastrophic release?

Pretty clear this review damps down that concern, along with the papers
last year pointing to post-2010 methane concentration rise being mainly
tropical/biogenic.

e.g.>
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/12/why-atmospheric-methane-surging-hint-its-not-fracking

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Hawkins, Dave <dhawk...@nrdc.org> wrote:

> Th bigger risk for it reaching the atmosphere would be from producing it
> commercially.  Congress has directed our DOE to come up with a plan to do
> exactly that.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Feb 12, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu>
> wrote:
>
> https://www.usgs.gov/news/gas-hydrate-breakdown-unlikely-
> cause-massive-greenhouse-gas-release
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016RG000534/full
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016RG000534/pdf
>
> [image: Reviews of Geophysics]
> <http://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/hub/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1944-9208>
>
> Review Article The interaction of climate change and methane hydrates
> Carolyn D. Ruppel, John D. Kessler
> Abstract
>
> Gas hydrate, a frozen, naturally-occurring, and highly-concentrated form
> of methane, sequesters significant carbon in the global system and is
> stable only over a range of low-temperature and moderate-pressure
> conditions. Gas hydrate is widespread in the sediments of marine
> continental margins and permafrost areas, locations where ocean and
> atmospheric warming may perturb the hydrate stability field and lead to
> release of the sequestered methane into the overlying sediments and soils.
> Methane and methane-derived carbon that escape from sediments and soils and
> reach the atmosphere could exacerbate greenhouse warming. The synergy
> between warming climate and gas hydrate dissociation feeds a popular
> perception that global warming could drive catastrophic methane releases
> from the contemporary gas hydrate reservoir. Appropriate evaluation of the
> two sides of the climate-methane hydrate synergy requires assessing direct
> and indirect observational data related to gas hydrate dissociation
> phenomena and numerical models that track the interaction of gas
> hydrates/methane with the ocean and/or atmosphere. Methane hydrate is
> likely undergoing dissociation now on global upper continental slopes and
> on continental shelves that ring the Arctic Ocean. Many factors—the depth
> of the gas hydrates in sediments, strong sediment and water column sinks,
> and the inability of bubbles emitted at the seafloor to deliver methane to
> the sea-air interface in most cases—mitigate the impact of gas hydrate
> dissociation on atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations though. There is
> no conclusive proof that hydrate-derived methane is reaching the atmosphere
> now, but more observational data and improved numerical models will better
> characterize the climate-hydrate synergy in the future.
>
> Ken Caldeira
> Carnegie Institution for Science
> Dept of Global Ecology
> 260 Panama St
> Stanford CA 94305 USA
> +1 650 704 7212 <(650)%20704-7212>
> http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab
> <http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab>

> [...]

*ANDREW C. REVKIN*
*ProPublica Senior Reporter
<https://www.propublica.org/site/author/andrew_revkin> (*climate and
related issues)
*Mobile: 914-441-5556 (Can be encrypted if Signal
<https://whispersystems.org/> app on your end, too)*
*@revkin <http://twitter.com/revkin>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/andrew.revkin.5>, Music <http://j.mp/revkinmusic>*