Hi Ken,

We tried to write some down in our Earth’s Future piece last year, at least for
stratospheric aerosols

MacMartin, D. G., B. Kravitz, J.C.S. Long, and P.J. Rasch, “Geoengineering with
stratospheric aerosols: what do we not know after a decade of research?”
Earth’s Future, 4, 543-548, 2016. doi: 10.1002/2016EF000418
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016EF000418/epdf>

I agree with some of what has been said, that some of the biggest/hardest
questions are on the societal side rather than climate science side, but I
don’t think very many people would agree to deployment based on what we
currently know on the climate science (I sure wouldn’t).

I’d say what we know is simply that it is plausible that a limited deployment
of solar geoengineering in addition to (as opposed to an alternative to) could
reduce climate damages for most, and research has yet to identify any
“showstoppers”.  We know that using solar geoengineering to move global mean
temperature all the way back to preindustrial will overcompensate some
variables and is almost certainly not a reasonable balance of risk, but
something like 3C --> 1.5C *might* be less risk (with appropriate caveating of
aggregation, i.e., risk for whom) than allowing the climate to warm to 3C.  We
know we can achieve at least a few W/m2 of negative RF.

There’s a lot of things we don’t know for stratospheric aerosols (and even more
for MCB or cirrus thinning), including stratospheric processes (microphysics,
chemistry, dynamics) and how the climate responds differently to that RF in
contrast to GHG forcing.  It would be valuable as a community to start trying
to better quantify which uncertainties are most important to resolve, how
significant they might be on our ability as a society to make informed
decisions, and what modeling/observation/perturbative field tests might help
resolve them (including how resolvable some uncertainty might be.  Just to pick
one random one, is the range of possible unknown impact of sedimenting aerosols
on cirrus significant enough that it would affect our conclusions about impacts
of a deployment?  If so, what would we need to do to understand that, how long
would that take, how much would that cost…  Personally I’d like to talk to
everyone at the GRC next week to get their expert opinions on these types of
questions (as well as everyone who isn’t at the GRC).

One thing I would like to push back on is the extent of “unknown unknowns”… of
course one can’t (by definition) bound that, but given the natural analogs, is
the possibility of these really significant in comparison with the known knowns
and known unknowns of never considering geoengineering?

See you in a few days,

doug