Indeed, I asked a question, you gave an answer.

However, you still have the problem that pro-capitalist governments in the US
and in Australia (where I live) are making it easier for corporations to poison
and pollute without there being much recourse against this. They are also
removing protections on national parks and areas of restricted access for
economic purposes. And they are doing it in the name of economic prosperity
(which in their eyes seems to mean corporate profits). They are also supporting
coal burning and coal mining in the name of profits. They are doing it in the
face of the evidence for massive ecological despoliation and climate change -
so to that extent there appears to be a direct competition between profit and
survival.

However, I'm sure that you are aware that primarily profit seeking and
developmentalist behaviour is leading to massive deforestation (in the Amazon
for example) and to massive pollution dumping, in many parts of the world.
There is little sign of this behaviour stopping because of 'instrumental
reason' (with the possible exception of a slow down in the rate of increase of
despoliation in China)

The fact that we have once had an era of governmental interference to lessen
some of the effects of capitalist developmentalism is not a reason to say that
this destruction has stopped, or that our social dynamics are not destructive
in the long run, or that we may not need more attempts at control.

You don't have to call this source of destruction capitalism if it makes you
easier. I'm happy with other names..

And yes, as you say, we have to build a social consensus to regulate that
destructive behaviour, and in the west that involves challenging corporate
power and corporate control over governance. We might need to also use some
geoengineering as well. However, you cannot pretend that GE is not tied in with
social dynamics, and that if we ignore those dynamics we might make things
worse.  That is what I said, and what the article being discussed said.

It is not unreasonable or stupid to discuss this.

jon