Dear All,

Here is the link to our recent paper on the efficacy of Methane in Climate
Dynamics.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-018-4102-x?wt_mc=Internal.Event.1.SEM.ArticleAuthorOnlineFirst

The efficacy of methane is probably not directly linked to geoengineering
but is an important component of climate change discussions as Methane is
one of the most important short-lived climate forcers.

Does shortwave absorption by methane influence its effectiveness?

   - Angshuman Modak
   <angshu...@iisc.ac.in>
   - Govindasamy Bala
   - Ken Caldeira
   - Long Cao

Abstract

In this study, using idealized step-forcing simulations, we examine the
effective radiative forcing of CH4 relative to that of CO2 and compare the
effects of CH4 and CO2 forcing on the climate system. A tenfold increase in
CH4 concentration in the NCAR CAM5 climate model produces similar long term
global mean surface warming (~ 1.7 K) as a one-third increase in CO2
concentration. However, the radiative forcing estimated for CO2 using the
prescribed-SST method is ~ 81% that of CH4, indicating that the efficacy of
CH4 forcing is ~ 0.81. This estimate is nearly unchanged when the CO2
physiological effect is included in our simulations. Further, for the same
long-term global mean surface warming, we simulate a smaller precipitation
increase in the CH4 case compared to the CO2 case. This is because of the
fast adjustment processes—precipitation reduction in the CH4 case is larger
than that of the CO2 case. This is associated with a relatively more stable
atmosphere and larger atmospheric radiative forcing in the CH4 case which
occurs because of near-infrared absorption by CH4 in the upper troposphere
and lower stratosphere. Within a month after an increase in CH4, this
shortwave heating results in a temperature increase of ~ 0.8 K in the lower
stratosphere and upper troposphere. In contrast, within a month after a CO2
increase, longwave cooling results in a temperature decrease of ~ 3 K in
the stratosphere and a small change in the upper troposphere. These fast
adjustments in the lower stratospheric and upper tropospheric temperature,
along with the adjustments in clouds in the troposphere, influence the
effective radiative forcing and the fast precipitation response. These
differences in fast climate adjustments also produce differences in the
climate states from which the slow response begins to evolve and hence they
are likely associated with differing feedbacks. We also find that the
tropics and subtropics are relatively warmer in the CH4 case for the same
global mean surface warming because of a larger longwave clear-sky and
shortwave cloud forcing over these regions in the CH4 case. Further
investigation using a multi-model intercomparison framework would permit an
assessment of the robustness of our results.
--
With Best Wishes,

G. Bala
Professor
Center for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560 012
India

Tel: +91 80 2293 3428; +91 80 2293 2505