For me the key thing was for the first time DAC was included . This will
enable a level playing field with CCS (flue) and i predict will result in
finally getting rid of the fantasy of clean coal
(or natural gas for that matter) as both the ecomomic and environmetal
benefits of DAC followed by beneficial use are demonstrated . We at GT are
in the process of demonstrating CO2 from air to plastic and to
fertizer (replacing the energy intensive Haber Bosch process) and producing
biochar that seqiesters the carbon.. Carbon fiber from CO2 from the air is
not too far in the future . In the end i hope only negative carbon will
qualify for credits and LAC will be truly cradle to grave and show what a
farce EOR really is
It boggles my minfd that you can take CO2 out of a natural dome , pipe line
it for many hundreds of miles , stick it underground where it started and
push out oil that burns and adds CO2 and gets tax credit for ptting about
30% of it
where it started . This is the legacy we live with because of the many
years of policy and DOE focus on clean coal .

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:29 PM, Hawkins, David <dhawk...@nrdc.org> wrote:

> It's a bit more complicated.
> Yes, a tax credit for CCS with no EOR eligible would be better.  Better
> still would be a bill requiring CCS on fossil plants older than X years.
> But such bills can't be enacted this year and won't be until there is a big
> shift in US politics.  So choice for this year was this bill or nothing.
> Opinions can (and do ) differ on this choice.  But there is value in buying
> down the cost of CCS.  As for impact on oil production: a barrel of EOR oil
> incented by this bill will be coupled with a CO2 reduction from industrial
> capture and thus have a lower CO2 intensity than any other barrel of oil.
> So the net CO2 impact will be driven by the amount of other oil the
> incremental EOR barrel displaces.  This is uncertain but the math is easy
> to figure out how much displacement is required to achieve net reductions.
> One additional point to note: there is a lot of EOR going on today in the
> US.  80% of the CO2 used for that production is extracted from natural
> reservoirs.  The tax credit in the bill for captured CO2 makes captured CO2
> less costly than buying "natural reservoir" CO2.  Shifting from natural to
> captured CO2 for whatever EOR happens is also a plus.
> The bill requires regulations be written to demand a demonstration of
> secure geological storage for any CO2 used in EOR.
> David

CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: This email message and all attachments contain
confidential and privileged information that are for the sole use of the
intended recipients, which if appropriate applies under the terms of the
non-disclosure agreement between the parties.