Hey Andrew, this approach would not be smart from a termination shock point
of view. If you were to start SRM at a high degree of cooling, whether by
volcano or by aeroplane, you would miss out on being able to check for side
effects while slowing ramping up the system.  Immediately turning SRM up to
11 skips that period and so increases the chance of political grievances
over nasty side effects.

Also I don’t see that using volcanoes as an SRM springboard offers any
advantage aside from a time-limited, introductory offer of getting your
first two years of cooling for free. But, as you note, you lose the choice
over when SRM would start. Better to pay a little more to start SRM when
you wanted and to use any upcoming volcanic cooling as a chance to study
the environmental impacts, I think.

Andy