The fact that we are not paying attention to termination shocks, does not mean
that not heeding this risk is a good idea. We actually should worry about the
termination shock on fertilizer and other infrastructure issues.  The risk of
termination shocks directly plays into the climate change debate.  One way of
looking at the challenge of rapid mitigation is that if we end up pushing hard
on CO2 reductions and forcing dramatic changes in the energy infrastructure, we
are pushing the resilience of the energy infrastructure to its limits.  If the
energy infrastructure fails, it removes our ability to provide life-critical
energy services, including the production of fertilizer.  This risk is usually
ignored in the climate debate.  I don’t think climate mitigation is pushing
against these limits right now, because we essentially refuse to act, but if we
were to follow some of the more aggressive CO2 reductions scenario we might be
exposed to a severe risk of an accidental failure and thus termination of
energy services.  Just like for SRM termination risks, war and/or economic
collapse could also cause such failures, which in turn could set off a downward
spiral.  In short modern societies are exposed to severe termination risks,
understanding them, guarding against them, not introducing unnecessary ones,
seems to be prudent policy.

Klaus