Dear Andy and Irvine, Wil and Doug,
I shall admit that your discussion on the risks associated to termination of
SRM was very healthy and thanks to Parker and Irvine (2018).
Here is my take-home message, but I may also be wrong:
(1) SRM research is necessary for climate policy and planning but the
technology is not sufficient enough to curb the long term effects (centennial
and millennial effects) of climate change;
(2) SRM shall not be seen, at least FOR NOW, as the central climate policy
option, as no clear scientific evidence, indication and agreement dictates so;
thus no-SRM climate policy shall not be considered "irrationality";
(3) The available studies on SRM are mostly based on philosophical assumptions
rather than verifiable hypotheses, since there are scanty  counterfactuals
(e.g. Mt pinatubo for SAI), or   simply none.
(4) More predictions based on scientific modeling (e.g. Caldeira, Crutzen,
Keith, Robock et al.) are required and needed to inform both science and policy
on the SWOTs of alternative climate interventions that may exist beside
mitigation and adaptation;
(5) Finally, climate engineering shall be developed alongside
mitigation+adaptation frameworks to increase its reliability among
policy-makers,  and feasibility among decision-makers as well as the risk of
its termination due to technological failure.

This is my take-home message from your discussion and I wish you well in all
your endeavors.
Best regards,
Cush

Envoyé depuis un mobile Samsung par