Moore et al's * Nature   *Comment  points to an interesting  material
disparity- history's largest civil  enginering projects have already
required shifting far more mass locally  than global geoengineering schemes
require.

They in turn contemplate  projects  in glacier damming  that each require a
one  to two order of magnitude increase in mass over the cubic kilometer
excavated to create the Suez Canal, or the ~ 250 million  cubic meters of
concrete poured to create the Three Gorges Dam.

This contrasts with trending dematerialization in  engineering ,
architecture, and the economy, as  pointed to by such  figures as Jesse
Ausabel, Buckminister Fuller, and Vaclav Smill. This may be an economic
trend independent of conservation policy, as  increased efficiency in the
use of materials  tends to be profitable in and of itself.

If the economic and engineering case for ( local not global )  glacier
engineering in the face of  rising  seas  can be made well enough to merit
high profile  publication  in *Nature *,  one hopes the editors will
entertain   future Comment pieces on less massive approaches to conserving
polar ice and albedo.