From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com <geoengineering@googlegroups.com> on
behalf of Greg Rau <gh...@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Sunday, 18 March 2018 10:41 AM
To: Hawkins, David; Sean Hernandez
Cc: Leon Di Marco; Carbon Dioxide Removal; Geoengineering
Subject: Re: [geo] Re: [CDR] Re: Medium Is Geoengineering an Immorality of Last
Resort?

There are diseases that are largely if not entirely preventable via behavior
modification, yet $100'sB are spent to develop treatments.  Where is the moral
hazard outrage here that the latter may relax prevention efforts? At one point
AGW (1.5-2 deg C warming) was 100% preventable via behavior modification
(emissions reduction). Experts now tell us that this is now very unlikely and
that additional measures are now needed. Why then are the latter still branded
as threats and moral hazards if both methods are now ultimately needed and
neither one alone will be sufficient, just as in the case with dealing with
many diseases? If exploration of all medical prevention and treatment options
for individuals is considered rational and essential, why isn't it also for
dealing with the health of the planet, the only one we've got? Given a
rationale, humans are able to walk and chew gum at the same time, and in the
AGW prevention and treatment case it would seem morally imperative that they
do. At the end of the day we may have no safe and effective treatment options,
but that is guaranteed if we are prevented from searching.
Greg