Mark,

You may be interested to see this paper about SDG14 'Life Below Water':

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17306525?via%3Dihub

Abstract

The United Nations Sustainable Development
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/sustainable-development>

Goals (SDG), adopted in September 2015, are accompanied by targets which
have to be met individually and collectively by the signatory states. SDG14
*Life
Below Water* aims to lay the foundation for the integrated and sustainable
management of the oceans. However, any environmental management
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/environmental-management>

has to be based around targets which are SMART – specific, measurable,
achievable, realistic and time bounded – otherwise it is not possible to
determine whether management actions are successful and achieve the desired
aims. The discussion here shows that many of the targets adopted for SDG14,
and especially a detailed analysis of Target 1, are aspirational rather
than fully quantified. In order to move towards making the targets
operational, we advocate merging the language of environmental management
with that used by industry for linking risks to the environment, management
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/environment-management>

performance and ensuing controls. By adopting an approach which uses Key
Performance Indicators (‘KPIs’), Key Risk Indicators (‘KRIs’) and Key
Control Indicators (‘KCIs’), we advocate that a degree of rigour leading to
defendable actions can be brought to marine management.
Chris.