From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Franz Dietrich Oeste
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 6:49 AM
To: andrew.lock...@gmail.com; geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [geo] Stratospheric aerosol injection tactics and costs in the
first 15 years of deployment - IOPscience

Thanks to Wake Smith and Gernot Wagner for their work! Their paper may open our
eyes to the probable unsuitability of the climate influencing tool
Stratospheric Solar Radiation Management (SRM) or as named by the authors
Stratospheric Aerosol Injection (SAI):

SRM shall act within the stratosphere 20 km above the ground. To gain a
temperature reduction of 0.30 K in 2047 it needs a yearly uplift to this height
of 1,5 million tons of sulfur. The sulfur shall be burned by new kind of
aircrafts in situ to gain gaseous SO2 (boiling point -10 °C) which becomes
transformed by oxidiation and hydration to about 6 million tons aerosol made of
a rather concentrated sulfuric acid - per year. This aerosol shall spread
around the globe and mirror parts of the sun radiation back into the space.

With the existing aircraft design sulfur lifting to these heights is
impossible. A new kind of aircraft needs to be developed to do the job. This
new aircraft should be able to lift a payload of 25 tons of liquid sulfur to 20
km above the ground then keeping at this height and burn there the sulfur load
which emits with the flue gas as SO2. About 60 000 flights per year are
necessary to gain the global temperature reduction of 0,30 K.

Thankfully this article discusses very clearly within chapter 6 that such
activities could not remain undetected. Their conclusion is that it would be
rather impossible that those activities remain undetected or might kept as a
secret.

According to this low result of 0,30 K global temperature decrease gained by
this huge expense and 1,5 Million tons of sulfur burned in the stratosphere the
SRM method seems completely unsuitable to solve our climate problem. Not only
that the SRM method does not reduce any of the increasing levels of the
essential greenhouse gases CO2 and methane, it surely increases the CO2 gas
level. Any reduction of the sun radiation at the surface decrease the
assimilation by which plants transform CO2 into organic C and oxygen. Further
SRM would increase the methane level by decreasing the UV radiation dependent
hydroxyl radical level which acts as a degradation tool to methane and further
volatile organics because the sun radiation decrease by SRM concerns
particularly the UV fraction.

It is my very hope that this article helps to reduce the hype about SRM.

Franz D. Oeste