Poster's note: who's organising this? There's no contact details or
recommended/subsidised accommodation. I registered, but didn't get a
confirmation email.

https://www.uu.nl/en/events/symposium-sulphate-geoengineering-feasibility-risks-alternatives

Events
See also
CCSS homepage
CLUe homepage
CLUe News and Events
CLUe Coordinator: Claudia Wieners
4 December 2018 from 09:30 to 17:30
Symposium: (Sulphate) Geoengineering - Feasibility, Risks, Alternatives

We know from volcanic eruptions that sulphate aerosol in the stratosphere
can temporally cool the climate. Can we use this effect artificially to
solve the global warming problem?
Humanity has not yet succeeded in reducing CO2 emissions significantly. Can
we artificially cool te planet by mimicking volcanic eruptions?
Prof. Alan Robock (Rutgers University, US) will visit CCSS to discuss the
effect of aerosol on climate. On December 4rd, we will organise a symposium
on geoengineering: Can we hack our way out of climate change, or would the
cure be worse than the disease? What are the benefits, dangers, and
alternatives?
Preliminary Programme
from 09:30 arrival
10:00-10:40 - Stephan de Roode - Cloud microphysics aspects of Marine Cloud
Brightening
10:40-11:20 Steve Hulshoff - Technical and Financial Feasibility of
Geoengineering using Aircraft
11:20-11:30 coffee break
11:30-12:30: Alan Robock - Stratospheric Sulfur Geoengineering - Benefits
and Risks (see abstract below)
12:30-13:30 lunch break
13:30-14:10: Koen Helwegen - Economic Cost-Benefit Analysis of
Geoengineering using Nordhaus’ DICE model
14:10-14:50: Aravind Purushothaman Vellayani - Bioenergy and Negative
Emissions
14:50-15:30: Detlef van Vuuren: Economic Aspects of Negative Emissions
15:30-16:00: cake and coffee
16:00-16:40: Claudia Wieners - Long-term effects of Geo-engineering in a
high-resolution atmosphere run
afterwards: discussion - (Sulphate) Geoengineering: A Cool Plan or
Megalomania?
The symposium is open to all interested researchers, but please register
with the form below.

Keynote Speaker: Alan Robock
Alan Robock is Distinguished Professor at the department of environmental
sciences at Rutgers University (US) since 1998. Previously, he worked at
the Department of Meteorology at the University Maryland (1977-1997) and
was State Climatologist of Maryland (1991-1997). His research involves many
aspects of climate change, using both observational analyses and climate
model simulations. Currently, he focuses on geoengineering, climatic
effects of nuclear weapons, and the effects of volcanic eruptions on
climate. Alan Robock has published more than 240 peer-reviewed papers and
received numerous awards, including the Jule G. Charney Medal of the
American Meteorological Society, 2015. He was participant in the
International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons, which was awarded the
Nobel Peace Prize in 2017.

Keynote talk: Stratospheric Sulfur Geoengineering – Benefits and Risks
Geoengineering, also called climate engineering, has been proposed as a
“solution” to global warming, involving “solar radiation management (SRM)”
by injecting particles into the stratosphere, brightening clouds, or
blocking sunlight with satellites between the Sun and Earth. While volcanic
eruptions have been suggested as innocuous examples of stratospheric
aerosols cooling the planet, the volcano analog actually argues against
stratospheric geoengineering because of ozone depletion and regional
hydrologic responses. No such systems to conduct stratospheric
geoengineering now exist, but a comparison of different proposed
stratospheric injection schemes, using airplanes, balloons, and artillery,
shows that using airplanes to put sulfur gases into the stratosphere would
not be expensive. Nevertheless, it would be very difficult to create
stratospheric sulfate particles with a desirable size distribution.

            Our Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project (GeoMIP),
conducting climate model experiments with standard stratospheric aerosol
injection scenarios, is ongoing. We have found that if we could counteract
increasing greenhouse gases with insolation reduction we could keep the
global average temperature constant, but global average precipitation would
reduce, particularly in summer monsoon regions around the world.
Temperature extremes would still increase, but not as much as without SRM.
If SRM were halted all at once, there would be rapid temperature and
precipitation increases at 5-10 times the rates from gradual global
warming. This would have devastating impacts on natural ecosystems. SRM
combined with CO2 fertilization would have small impacts on rice production
in China, but would increase maize production. SRM using stratospheric
aerosols would reduce stratospheric ozone and enhance surface UV-B
radiation. The enhanced downward diffuse radiation would increase the
surface CO2 sink.

            If there were a way to continuously inject SO2 into the lower
stratosphere, it would produce global cooling, stopping melting of the ice
caps, and increasing the uptake of CO2 by plants. But there are at least 27
reasons why stratospheric geoengineering may be a bad idea. These include
disruption of the Asian and African summer monsoons, reducing precipitation
to the food supply for billions of people; ozone depletion; no more blue
skies; reduction of solar power; and rapid global warming if it stops.
Furthermore, there are concerns about commercial or military control, and
it may seriously degrade terrestrial astronomy and satellite remote
sensing. Global efforts to reduce anthropogenic emissions (mitigation) and
to adapt to climate change are a much better way to channel our resources
to address anthropogenic global warming.

Location: Centre for Complex Systems Studies, room 4.16, Minnaert Building,
Leuvenlaan 4, De Uithof, Utrecht

For other events during Alan's visit, see here.

If you have any questions, please contact the CLUe coordinator Claudia
Wieners (c.e.wien...@uu.nl)