Hi folks,

I’m writing to correct an error made by Ray Pierrehumbert in a recent
opinion piece on SRM, which has only just come to my attention. In an
article published in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, Ray wrote:

“*it is apparent that over time, the Environmental Defense Fund is
gradually becoming, at the very least, a partner in a governance initiative
that, in my view, has taken it as a foregone conclusion that outdoor
experimentation at some scale will happen – and that the only question is
how to govern it so it takes place in a so-called safe way (SRMGI 2019).
The governance initiative fails to ask the deeper question of whether it is
wise at this point to engage in research that could facilitate the
deployment of a technology that may well prove ungovernable*”.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00963402.2019.1654255

I direct the governance initiative in question (SRMGI) and I wanted to
point out that we don’t have any position on outdoors experimentation and
we do explicitly ask the "deeper question" of whether it is wise to engage
in outdoors research. Earlier this week we ran a workshop in Abidjan, Cote
d’Ivoire, and I've attached the relevant slide from a group exercise.
Translated it reads:

*Scientists from Harvard are planning an SRM experiment in the next year.
The experiment would involve releasing one kilogram of sulphur dioxide into
the stratosphere in order to better understand possible impacts on
atmospheric chemistry, including the destruction of ozone. The experiment
wouldn't have any negative environmental impacts and couldn't be done in a
lab, but some people are concerned about the sociopolitical impacts.*

*1. Is this research welcome or unwelcome, and why?*

*2. If the decision to approve the experiment were down to you, what
information would you want in order to make the decision?*

In case of interest, and quite unsurprisingly, the question returned a wide
range of views and a vigorous debate between the ~100 participants. Some
people were concerned about decision-making processes and about who got to
evaluate the experiment's physical risks, some people wondered what future
research projects this might lead onto, some people were happy to see the
research proceed as they thought that it might be useful and that the
levels of risk were acceptable.

Hope that this sets the record straight.

Andy