Dear All,

Last summer Warren Washington invited me to write an article in /The Bridge/, the quarterly magazine of the National Academy of Engineering.  It has just been published and the entire issue of the journal is available online at https://www.nae.edu/228883/Spring-Bridge-Issue-on-Engineering-and-Climate-Change .  The issue is about engineering and climate change, and you can read the Editor's Note starting on p. 5 on "Engineering and Geoengineering Approaches to Climate Change."

You can download the pdf of my article at http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/RobockBridge.pdf

Robock, Alan, 2020: Benefits and risks of stratospheric solar radiation management for climate intervention (geoengineering). /The Bridge/, *50*, 59-67.

Table 2 is my most recent list of potential benefits, risks, and concerns of implementing stratospheric climate intervention.  And I want to remind you that this list is not meant to be evaluated by counting the number of items on each side of the list.  Potential benefit 1 is that it could reduce global warming and many of its negative impacts.  The question for future policy makers is whether this potential benefit outweighs the many potential risks.

This reminds me to make a couple comments about Pete Irvine and David Keith's latest article on using SRM to cut global warming in half, thus reducing the impacts on precipitation, https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ab76de .  I have seen several articles touting it as a good idea, since it would provide some benefits with fewer negative impacts on soil moisture and precipitation.  But:

1.  This is not a new idea.  I pointed this out in a message to this list a year ago, on March 12, 2019, but they still fail to reference previous work:

Jones et al. (2013), of which Peter Irvine, the first author of this new paper, is a co-author, showed in Figs. 1 and 2 for the BNU model, that if you only compensate for half the warming, you get no change in precipitation.  So the result in this new paper is to be expected and not surprising at all.

Kravitz et al. (2015), of which Peter Irvine, the first author of this new paper, is also a co-author, lays out the GeoMIP experiments that are now being completed as part of CMIP6.  The G6 experiments are exactly the scenario studied in this new paper, using half the forcing of RCP8.5.  I don’t understand why it was ignored by Irvine and Keith (2020).

Tilmes et al. (2016) used the NCAR climate model to simulate stratospheric geoengineering to partially reduce global warming, and found decreases in temperature and precipitation extremes, and also examined aridity changes.

MacMartin et al. (2019) showed that for moderate deployment scenarios, changes in regional temperature and precipitation patterns as compared to business as usual would not be detectable over much of the planet even by the end of this century, which is the same thing as found in this paper.

2.  I think it is important to remind ourselves that temperature and precipitation are not the only potential climate impacts from SRM. Even if we could be happier with how those change as compared to no mitigation at all, there are so many other things that need to be considered before implementation.  As Irvine and Keith point out, governance is likely the greatest challenge.  But, in addition there are ozone depletion, acid rain, ecosystem impacts, agricultural impacts, aesthetics, ethics, and unknowns (see details in my Table 2).  I am sure they agree with me that much more research needs to be done on these and other topics before society can consider implementation.

    In one sense I agree with their assertion that “The level of radiative forcing is among the most important choices that society will have to make about solar geoengineering.”  The question is whether it will ever be greater than zero.  If we come to that conclusion sooner rather than later, this will erase the false hope that solar geoengineering will solve the global warming problem and perhaps increase the needed push to leave the fossil fuels in the ground.