Andrew,

This is no contradiction between the Keith et al's commentary and this
paper. Keith et al.'s paper is about stocks and this JGR paper is about the
rate of flow of carbon between the atmosphere and the land biosphere
(flux). The stocks and fluxes can behave very differently. The cooling
caused by SRM reduces the rate of fluxing of carbon between the atmosphere
and plants but overall it helps to build the carbon stocks in biomass and
soils and hence reduce the atmospheric CO2.

Another good example for stocks and fluxes behaving very differently is the
change in precipitation (flux) and atmospheric water vapor (stock) under
global warming. It is well established now that precipitation increases at
the rate of 2-3% per deg warming while water vapor increases at the rate of
about 7% per deg warming.

Best,
Bala

--
With Best Wishes,

G. Bala
Professor
Center for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560 012
India

Tel: +91 80 2293 3428; +91 80 2293 2505