https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14693062.2021.1993125

Linking solar geoengineering and emissions reductions: strategically
resolving an international climate change policy dilemma

Jesse L. Reynolds

ABSTRACT

Solar geoengineering appears able to reduce climate change risks but raises
controversy, the leading cause of which is the concern that its research,
development, and evaluation might inappropriately obstruct efforts to cut
greenhouse gas emissions (‘mitigation’). Describing how policies could
effectively and feasibly manage such possible mitigation obstruction has
proven elusive. One option would be to strategically link the international
policies of mitigation and solar geoengineering. Here I explore this by
disaggregating states based on their relevant characteristics. I propose
linkages of mitigation policy with: (1) solar geoengineering research and
development, (2) decision-making regarding whether to deploy solar
geoengineering, and (3) how to deploy solar geoengineering. Based on the
incentives that states would face under them, these linkages are assessed
on whether they can be expected to effectively increase mitigation and are
seem minimally feasible. Linkages in each of the three categories have
potential and could occur sequentially. In the linkage which I believe has
the greatest potential, one or more states would proclaim their right to
deploy solar geoengineering if and only if they meet their own mitigation
goals and the rest of the world insufficiently mitigates, and would promise
to forego deployment if either condition is not met. I identify this
proposed linkage’s possible challenges, including legitimacy, credibility,
optimal size, relations among targets of the linkage, stringency of
mitigation goals, and potential counterproductivity. Limitations to this
exploration and assessment include the speculative nature, the assumption
that states’ preferences regarding mitigation and solar geoengineering are
properly related, and the use of noncooperative linkage.

   - *Key policy insights*
   -

   Solar geoengineering could reduce the impacts of climate change but is
   controversial, in large part because of concerns that its research,
   development, or use might obstruct efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions.
   -

   I explore and assess whether linking international policies of
   greenhouse gas emissions reductions and solar geoengineering could feasibly
   and effectively increase emissions reductions.
   -

   In the linkage that I believe has the greatest potential, one or more
   states would proclaim their right to deploy solar geoengineering if and
   only if they meet their emissions reductions goals and other countries do
   not.