Andrew,

There is a huge difference between meteorologists and "climate scientists”
Many Climate people are not worried about extremes and small scale  processes
(< 100km) , which for me are CRITICAL - with the proviso that paleontologists
etc. , e.g. looking at Younger Dryas etc. are worried. The system is both as
you suggest. Predictable if you include all the factors , chaotic if you are
operating at scales larger.  Of course there is always an issue of knowing the
initial conditions.

As a meteorologist, I believe the IPCC6 WG1 consensus is a whitewash written by
climate scientists who understand little about meteorology ( IPCC6 (2021),
Climate Change. The physical basis . https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/1/
<https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/1/> )
As a meteorologist CCRA3 is better. ( Slingo, J. (2021) Latest scientific
evidence for observed and projected climate change.
https://www.ukclimaterisk.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/CCRA3-Chapter-1-FINAL.pdf

<https://www.ukclimaterisk.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/CCRA3-Chapter-1-FINAL.pdf>
 )
I have written a letter to the Guardian saying this and waiting until tomorrow
(in case they answer!) before sending it elsewhere.  I can send a copy if
desired.

Best wishes
Alan

Alan Gadian, Professor of Dynamical Meteorology, Leeds’ University, LS2 9JT , UK
Email:   a...@env.leeds.ac.uk or alan...@gmail.com
Tel: (+44)/(0) 1395 512915  Mobile: (+44)/(0) 775 451 9009

Alan Gadian
alan...@gmail.com