Dear all,

I've got Alan Robock, Brian Toon, Paul and Anne Ehrlich coming on my
Sustain What webcast tomorrow - *March 3 - at 1pm Eastern* to talk about
the new nuclear war threat in the context of nuclear winter science. *Putin’s
Nuclear Threat – Global Implications and Options*
https://www.earth.columbia.edu/videos/view/putin-s-nuclear-threat-global-implications-and-options

Here's the related story:

Thirty-seven years after I first wrote about the global threat of a
"nuclear winter" triggered by a nuclear war, I can't believe I have to
revisit this. But such is the nature of these times.

Sustain What
<https://www.facebook.com/bulletin_community_platforms/notif/link/?ndid=Y0YMTY0NjI2NTI4NjY1MjkwMDp6OGNldXdwZm9iOW1peHFvZ3lkb2V4djJ2a2l4OWJweWh6YzJ4eHBrdDFwYTViMGV3eEBkZXZudWxsLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbToxMzA4MQ&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Frevkin.bulletin.com%2F%3Fsource%3Demail&notif_type=voices_publish&link_type=cta_to_publication&source=email>

*I would love your help expanding the Sustain What community, particularly
to students and educators. Here's **the page to send around
<http://j.mp/revkinbulletin>**.* (My dispatches will always be free so
those who need information the most can get it.)

As Western Pressure Builds, Putin's Nuclear Threat is Easy to Overplay or
Write Off, But Can't be Ignored
<https://www.facebook.com/bulletin_community_platforms/notif/link/?ndid=Y0YMTY0NjI2NTI4NjY1MjkwMDp6OGNldXdwZm9iOW1peHFvZ3lkb2V4djJ2a2l4OWJweWh6YzJ4eHBrdDFwYTViMGV3eEBkZXZudWxsLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbToxMzA4MQ&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Frevkin.bulletin.com%2Fthe-putin-nuclear-threat-cant-be-ignored%2F%3Fsource%3Demail&notif_type=voices_publish&link_type=cta_to_article&source=email>

Thirty-seven years after I first wrote about the global threat of a
"nuclear winter" triggered by a nuclear war, I can't believe I have to
revisit this. But such is the nature of these times.

Andrew Revkin
Mar 02

*Please **SUBSCRIBE <https://revkin.bulletin.com/subscribe>* to receive my
posts by email (content always free so no one is left out). Spread word to
friends by sending an email here
<revkin@revkin?subject=climate%20journalist%20Andy%20Revkin's%20newsletter&body=Hey%20there%2C%0D%0A%0D%0AI%20discovered%20longtime%20climate%20journalist%20Andy%20Revkin's%20new%20Sustain%20What%20dispatch%20and%20think%20you'll%20appreciate%20what%20he's%20doing.%0D%0A%0D%0AHe's%20trying%20to%20clarify%20paths%20to%20climate%20and%20sustainability%20impact%20that%20hide%20behind%20overheated%20headlines%20and%20debates.%0D%0A%0D%0AThe%20newsletter%20is%20free%20to%20all%3B%20he%20plans%20to%20seek%20sponsors%20eventually%20and%20hold%20events%20for%20contributors.%0D%0A%0D%0AYou%20can%20subscribe%20here%20(and%20don't%20need%20to%20be%20on%20Facebook)%3A%20http%3A%2F%2Frevkin.bulletin.com%2Fsubscribe%0D%0A>.
Join my live Sustain What session Thursday May 3, 1 p.m. U.S. E.T.: *Putin’s
Nuclear Threat – Global Implications and Options
<https://www.earth.columbia.edu/videos/view/putin-s-nuclear-threat-global-implications-and-options>*

Students in Brooklyn in a "take cover" drill in 1962 (Library of Congress)

I want to hear from you, especially those, like me, who grew up when
elementary school kids streamed into basements as six bells rang (at least
that's the bell count I vaguely recall, distinct from fire drills). And I'd
like to hear from those who've grown up facing pandemics and recessions and
Capitol insurrections but not the prospect of nuclear war.

What is your sense of this moment as the world rises in opposition to
Vladimir Putin's relentless escalation of his atrocities in Ukraine?

Have you, like me, paused to think about the implications if this invasion
cascades outward into a wider ground war in Europe, or if Putin, cut off
from reality and seeing his domestic power base potentially weaken, makes
good on his ratcheting nuclear threat?

I should be writing today about the steps taken in a United Nations meeting
in Nairobi toward a global accord limiting plastic pollution
<https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/biggest-green-deal-since-paris-un-approve-plastic-treaty-roadmap-2022-03-02/>,
or about deeper details of this week's big report on climate change impacts
and adaptation
<https://theconversation.com/ipcc-report-how-politics-not-climate-change-is-responsible-for-disasters-and-conflict-178071>
options.

But instead I'm taking a step back to reflect on nuclear peril - the
ultimate example of humanity's tendency to be "a technical giant and an
ethical child,
<https://revkin.medium.com/when-data-and-values-met-at-the-vatican-cf35e6f99153>"
as a cardinal proposed during a Vatican conference on sustainability in
2014.

As a host of geopolitical and military analysts have been writing and
tweeting, the prospect remains remote that Putin will step beyond deploying
Russia's forbidding arsenal of conventional weapons to a nuclear assault.

But the odds are not zero. Keep in mind there are many options for him,
weapon-wise, beyond ballistic salvos, as Heritage Foundation researchers
Peter Brooks and Patty-Jane Geller wrote last month in a Daily Signal
article titled "Russia’s Small Nukes Are a Big Problem
<https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/02/01/russias-small-nukes-are-a-big-problem/>."
Several thousand "tactical" nuclear weapons are at hand. And keep in mind
that war comes with chaos, and that means mistakes.

The problem of course is that such weapons implicitly cross a line
uncrossed in three generations. As former Secretary of Defense James Mattis
<https://www.cohengroup.net/our-people/james-mattis> told Congress in 2018
<https://www.military.com/defensetech/2018/02/06/mattis-there-no-such-thing-tactical-nuke.html>,
"I don't think there's any such thing as a tactical nuclear weapon. Any
nuclear weapon used anytime is a strategic game changer."

And there is likely no such thing as a nuclear conflict without global
environmental implications.
<https://revkin.bulletin.com/the-putin-nuclear-threat-cant-be-ignored/?source=email>

There's persistent evidence from climate simulations that even a "small"
nuclear war, say a limited exchange of warheads between India and Pakistan
(which was a brewing prospect a few years back) could loft enough
sun-dimming particles into the stratosphere to substantially harm
agriculture across a wide swath of the world. (Click here for the source
and context <http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/nuclear/> of the simulation
of smoke propagation from a nuclear blast shown in the animation above.)

It would not be a "nuclear winter" of the kind scientists postulated was
possible in 1983 and that I wrote about in depth in 1985
<https://www.slideshare.net/Revkin/hard-facts-about-nuclear-winter-1985>.
But it could produce a years-long food crisis, as described in this 2020
study: "A regional nuclear conflict would compromise global food security.
<https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2020/03/16/even-limited-india-pakistan-nuclear-war-would-bring-global-famine/>
"

With all of this in mind, I'm hosting a special Sustain What conversation
Thursday, March 3, at 1 p.m. Eastern, with a remarkable batch of people: Paul
Ehrlich <https://ccb.stanford.edu/paul-r-ehrlich> and Anne Ehrlich
<https://news.stanford.edu/expert/anne-ehrlich/> of Stanford University,
both of whom have for decades studied and written about human population
dynamics, the environmental impacts of nuclear war and other sustainability
challenges; Alan Robock <http://people.envsci.rutgers.edu/robock/>, a
Rutgers atmospheric scientist who has for decades assessed the nuclear
winter hypothesis, and Owen Brian Toon
<https://experts.colorado.edu/display/fisid_110521>, a University of
Colorado atmospheric scientist who was one of the five co-authors of the
foundational "TTAPS" paper warning of nuclear winter
<https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.222.4630.1283> in 1983 and
still focuses on human effects on the atmosphere and climate.

Read the paper in the journal Science <https://www.jstor.org/stable/1691639>

I would love to think we're just replaying a drill that's been played too
many times - exploring highly unlikely scenarios that attract attention
because they're dramatic and foreboding.

The nuclear winter paper published in Science in December 1983 came just
weeks after ABC's TV movie "The Day After" - about the aftermath of a
full-scale nuclear exchange with the Soviet Union - garnered one of the
biggest television audiences ever. Read this epic 2018 long read in the
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
<https://thebulletin.org/facing-nuclear-reality-35-years-after-the-day-after/>
by the science writer Dawn Stover for a deep dive into the zeitgeist at the
time. Notably, entries in President Ronald Reagan's diary
<https://gizmodo.com/reagan-thought-this-1983-nuclear-apocalypse-movie-valid-1794377982>
showed the film not only affected him but spurred his enthusiasm for the
strategic defense initiative.

As for current events in Ukraine and beyond, I see enough variability and
caveating in the views of scholars and strategists deeply dug in on current
events that I know this moment deserves rapt attention and responsiveness.
Varied views

On Sunday, February 27, Thomas Nichols
<https://usnwc.edu/Faculty-and-Departments/Directory/Thomas-M-Nichols>, a
professor at the U.S. Naval War College who studies and writes about
international and nuclear security and U.S. - Russian relations, tweeted
this of Putin <https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1497972064304648197>:
"This is a pretty dangerous game he’s playing. But it’s a provocation and
it’s partly aimed at a domestic audience and we shouldn’t take the bait."

His Atlantic article
<https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/02/how-the-west-should-respond-to-putins-nuclear-provocation/622943/>
published the same day pressed the case for avoiding the old Cold War tit
for tat:

"The Russians have gone to higher alert, and it would seem only prudent to
answer this with a reciprocal raising of U.S. alert status. But that Cold
War reaction would, I suspect, be exactly what Putin wants. He’s in a jam
and he’s trying to look strong, and part of the way he can do that is to
turn his *hare-brained scheme
<https://www.nytimes.com/1964/10/18/archives/khrushchev-role-on-farms-scored-pravda-indicates-setbacks-were.html>*
in Ukraine into a gigantic Russian-American confrontation. Putin would like
nothing better than to take everyone’s mind off Ukraine and focus us all on
a game of nuclear chicken."

A key challenge and dilemma relates to escalation. After reading Nichols'
analysis and a Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists commentary on "inadvertent
escalation" by Ulrich Kühn, who directs a research program on arms control
and emerging technologies at the University of Hamburg, I dug deep on
escalation theory. He cited this book-length 2009 treatise from the Rand
Corporation, which I found gripping reading:

*Dangerous Thresholds: Managing Escalation in the 21st Century
<https://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/MG614.html>* - by Forrest E. Morgan
<https://www.rand.org/pubs/authors/m/morgan_forrest_e.html>, Karl P. Mueller
<https://www.rand.org/about/people/m/mueller_karl_p.html>, Evan S. Medeiros
<https://www.rand.org/pubs/authors/m/medeiros_evan_s.html>, Kevin L.
Pollpeter <https://www.rand.org/pubs/authors/p/pollpeter_kevin_l.html>, Roger
Cliff <https://www.rand.org/pubs/authors/c/cliff_roger.html>

The report is still all too relevant. The report has sections on
"deliberate escalation" - which is what Putin has been pursuing - and
inadvertent and accidental escalation, both being what the rest of us want
to avoid.

Unfortunately, it's too late for the best option for avoiding Putin's
approach, which, the authors say, is deterrence: "The key to managing an
enemy’s propensity for deliberate escalation, whether instrumental or
suggestive, lies in deterrence: discouraging an enemy from deliberately
escalating a conflict by convincing that enemy that the costs of such
actions will outweigh the benefits that may be accrued through escalation."

That inability to deter leads to something of a trap now, as Sharon Burke
<https://www.ecospherics.org/who-we-are>, a former U.S. assistant secretary
of defense, explained on last Friday's Sustain What webcast. As pressure
intensifies on Putin, that can simply intensify his deliberate escalation
(until internal forces within Russia's formal or informal
<https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/03/is-it-too-late-for-the-oligarchs-to-stop-putin-in-ukraine.html>
power structures kick back, perhaps).

"It's very difficult to retaliate when you don't want to escalate
<https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1dRKZlROBpzJB>," Burke said.

Please join my Columbia Climate School Sustain What conversation
<https://www.earth.columbia.edu/videos/view/putin-s-nuclear-threat-global-implications-and-options>
on Thursday, March 3, at 1 p.m. Eastern and tell me what you think, and
what you're doing to stay sane and productive. Watch here on YouTube or on
LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/video/event/urn:li:ugcPost:6904818247561277440/>
or Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/127275619407887/posts/343524081116372>
:
Putin’s Nuclear Threat – Global Implications and Options
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NErzMjCMyrc>Reading:

*The West is at war with Russia. Here’s what that means for the world
<https://ianbremmer.bulletin.com/west-at-war-with-russia>* - the latest
column by my Bulletin colleague and G-Zero Media
<https://www.gzeromedia.com/in-60-seconds/us-politics/bidens-state-of-the-union-address-3-takeaways>
founder Ian Bremmer

*Russia’s War on Ukraine and the Risk of Nuclear Escalation: Answers to
Frequently Asked Questions
<https://www.armscontrol.org/issue-briefs/2022-02/FAQ-russia-ukraine>* -
Arms Control Association

There are more suggested readings in my Twitter thread here:
Twitter
See @Revkin's post on Twitter.
twitter.com/Revkin
<https://twitter.com/Revkin/status/1499065316038610959>*Help build Sustain
What*

Any new column needs the help of existing readers. Tell friends what I'm up
to by sending an email here
<revkin@revkin?subject=climate%20journalist%20Andy%20Revkin's%20newsletter&body=Hey%20there%2C%0D%0A%0D%0AI%20discovered%20longtime%20climate%20journalist%20Andy%20Revkin's%20new%20Sustain%20What%20dispatch%20and%20think%20you'll%20appreciate%20what%20he's%20doing.%0D%0A%0D%0AHe's%20trying%20to%20clarify%20paths%20to%20climate%20and%20sustainability%20impact%20that%20hide%20behind%20overheated%20headlines%20and%20debates.%0D%0A%0D%0AThe%20newsletter%20is%20free%20to%20all%3B%20he%20plans%20to%20seek%20sponsors%20eventually%20and%20hold%20events%20for%20contributors.%0D%0A%0D%0AYou%20can%20subscribe%20here%20(and%20don't%20need%20to%20be%20on%20Facebook)%3A%20http%3A%2F%2Frevkin.bulletin.com%2Fsubscribe%0D%0A>
or forwarding this introductory post
<https://l.bulletin.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fj.mp%2Frevkinbulletin&h=AT26rArzC0TSUPKt8Z6G84377Ww5pK6Tk9Y-Uyo2aC3qev1FH-8HpjrWtHqiRmAoyji_DthW90XGlnGXv7L9YUDkN9XNPGNaXfXjyhvTmMg1UNLe8ER18B4P2IKggbOKznrFcNXOZA>
.

Thanks for *commenting below* or on Facebook
<https://l.bulletin.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffb.com%2Fandrewrevkin&h=AT2DelpcF6pxZUs7l0-TkFSBFPZ8gILNUVGcgEXo_6FIt10M-mPER0cw0VN_NzwJhoXhUPGZX2dYeV1kULOE7en46dhOdNSCxQBMXiriBqAiOJPlRU7nkX-iziZsoKDZJ7J5u3l1TQ>
.

*Subscribe here <https://revkin.bulletin.com/subscribe>* free of charge if
you haven't already.

*Send me **feedback (including corrections!), tips, ideas here
<https://j.mp/revkinfeedback>*.

Find my social media accounts, books and music *in a click here
<https://l.bulletin.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Flinktr.ee%2Frevkin&h=AT0TgengYsTAkdl2u9j9HcTXMJWqytP3Y4gl9bWVAWjzHUTXYwpd8907ecGFuj70NNcJTB5ecqL9HzEPnyZavP9QKLJbnMgoVFuwfM0QzlNqpQk7QnKuuNTOFELeIZCkLUgztqZdEQ>*.
And please share Sustain What with solution-focused friends and colleagues.
Join the discussion
<https://www.facebook.com/bulletin_community_platforms/notif/link/?ndid=Y0YMTY0NjI2NTI4NjY1MjkwMDp6OGNldXdwZm9iOW1peHFvZ3lkb2V4djJ2a2l4OWJweWh6YzJ4eHBrdDFwYTViMGV3eEBkZXZudWxsLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbToxMzA4MQ&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Frevkin.bulletin.com%2Fthe-putin-nuclear-threat-cant-be-ignored%2F%3Fsection%3Dcomments%26source%3Demail&notif_type=voices_publish&link_type=cta_to_comment&section=comments&source=email>

This message was sent on behalf of Andrew Revkin. By replying to this
email, your message will be delivered directly to Andrew Revkin.
You can unsubscribe or manage your email settings here
<https://revkin.bulletin.com/email/unsubscribe/?email=revkin%40gmail.com&creator_id=166691795466269&publication_id=343008790669114&hash=AZGf0vVDkTInrKcIhiCrbAwiyk8hYFd3DPKpHZQ5s3W2xg&source=email>
.

© Meta 2022

1601 Willow Rd. Menlo Park, CA 94025.

For more information on how Meta Bulletin processes information, please see
the Bulletin Data policy
<https://www.facebook.com/bulletin_community_platforms/notif/link/?ndid=Y0YMTY0NjI2NTI4NjY1MjkwMDp6OGNldXdwZm9iOW1peHFvZ3lkb2V4djJ2a2l4OWJweWh6YzJ4eHBrdDFwYTViMGV3eEBkZXZudWxsLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbToxMzA4MQ&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulletin.com%2Flegal%2Fdata_policy%2F&notif_type=voices_publish&link_type=cta_to_data_policy>
& Terms
<https://www.facebook.com/bulletin_community_platforms/notif/link/?ndid=Y0YMTY0NjI2NTI4NjY1MjkwMDp6OGNldXdwZm9iOW1peHFvZ3lkb2V4djJ2a2l4OWJweWh6YzJ4eHBrdDFwYTViMGV3eEBkZXZudWxsLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbToxMzA4MQ&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulletin.com%2Flegal%2Fterms%2F&notif_type=voices_publish&link_type=cta_to_terms>

<https://www.facebook.com/bulletin_community_platforms/notif/link/?ndid=Y0YMTY0NjI2NTI4NjY1MjkwMDp6OGNldXdwZm9iOW1peHFvZ3lkb2V4djJ2a2l4OWJweWh6YzJ4eHBrdDFwYTViMGV3eEBkZXZudWxsLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbToxMzA4MQ&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulletin.com%2Fhome%2F%3Fsource%3Demail&notif_type=voices_publish&link_type=cta_to_bulletin_home&source=email>

--
*ANDREW REVKIN*
*Founding Director, Initiative on Communication & Sustainability*