What do we mean when we talk about the moral hazard of geoengineering?
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/14614529211069839
https://doi.org/10.1177/14614529211069839
Abstract

Geoengineering technologies – deliberate, large-scale interventions to
alter the Earth's climate – present an opportunity to ameliorate the
effects of climate change; an opportunity policy-makers are beginning to
consider. However, the safety and efficacy of geoengineering strategies is
uncertain, and there is concern advancing these technologies engenders a
range of non-physical risks; in particular, moral hazard. In economics,
moral hazard occurs when insured agents no longer bear the full
consequences of risk-taking, and consequentially increase their exposure to
risk. However, while certainly analogous, the way the term is used in the
geoengineering literature is ambiguous, describing a patchwork of
mechanisms of action, hazardous behaviours, and undesirable outcomes.
Importantly, as moral hazard concerns are likely to inform policy-making
and regulatory responses to these technologies, this unclear specification
could impede scholarly, policy, and public debate. This article charts this
ambiguity, documenting the range of meanings of moral hazard in the
geoengineering literature. Results suggest moral hazard is used at least
eight different ways in the literature, with the three most common frames
being *Insurance, Unwilling* and *Avoid.* With this, we suggest that those
articulating moral hazard concerns about geoengineering technologies work
to articulate as clearly as possible what the problem actually is.
*Keywords *
Geoengineering <https://journals.sagepub.com/keyword/Geoengineering>, moral
hazard <https://journals.sagepub.com/keyword/Moral+Hazard>, carbon dioxide
removal <https://journals.sagepub.com/keyword/Carbon+Dioxide+Removal>,