The program

www.grc.org /climate-engineering-conference/2022/
<https://www.grc.org/climate-engineering-conference/2022/> Processes and
Impacts of Radiation Management Approaches to Climate Change
------------------------------

Conference Description

By deliberately intervening in Earth's radiation budget, climate
engineering (or geoengineering) could reduce some of the impacts of climate
change. Possible methods include (but are not limited to) stratospheric
aerosol addition or marine cloud brightening, both of which would reflect
some sunlight back to space, or cirrus cloud thinning to increase outgoing
longwave radiation. This conference focuses on better understanding the
processes and impacts associated with radiation management. This includes
processes specific to individual methods, the projected climate response
and its uncertainties, and the impacts, including those in the developing
world, as well as the engineering aspects and the design of research to
address risk.

Related Meeting

This GRC will be held in conjunction with the *"Climate Engineering" Gordon
Research Seminar (GRS). *Those interested in attending both meetings must
submit an application for the GRS in addition to an application for the
GRC. Refer to the associated GRS program page
<https://undefined/climate-engineering-grs-conference/2022/> for more
information.
Sunday
2:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Arrival and Check-in
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Dinner
7:30 pm - 7:40 pm

Introductory Comments by GRC Site Staff / Welcome from the GRC Chair
7:40 pm - 9:30 pm
Keynote Session: Climate Engineering in Context
*This session will focus on the interaction between Climate Engineering and
other approaches for managing climate risks, highlighting what we know and
don't know about climate engineering methods.*

Discussion Leader: *Mark Lawrence* (Institute for Advanced Sustainability
Studies, Germany)
7:40 pm - 7:50 pm

Opening Remarks
7:50 pm - 8:00 pm

Introduction by Discussion Leader
8:00 pm - 8:30 pm

*Piers Forster* (University of Leeds, United Kingdom)
"Climate Engineering in the Context of SR1.5 and the Paris Agreement"
8:30 pm - 8:40 pm

Discussion
8:40 pm - 9:10 pm

*Alan Robock* (Rutgers University, USA)
"Stratospheric Sulfur Geoengineering – Benefits and Risks"
9:10 pm - 9:20 pm

Discussion
9:20 pm - 9:30 pm

General Discussion
Monday
7:30 am - 8:30 am

Breakfast
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Stratospheric Processes
*This session focuses on processes relevant to stratospheric aerosol
injection: microphysics, chemistry, and dynamics, including both modeling
and observations*

Discussion Leader: *Valentina Aquila* (American University, USA)
9:00 am - 9:10 am

Introduction by Discussion Leader
9:10 am - 9:45 am

*Gabriel Chiodo* (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
"Efficacy of Stratospheric Solar Geoengineering: The Role of Chemical and
Dynamical Feedbacks"
9:45 am - 9:55 am

Discussion
9:55 am - 10:25 am

Coffee Break
10:25 am - 11:00 am

*Jadwiga Richter* (National Center for Atmospheric Research, USA)
"Impacts of SAI on Stratospheric Dynamics and Chemistry"
11:00 am - 11:10 am

Discussion
11:10 am - 11:45 am

*Karen Rosenlof* (NOAA ESRL Chemical Sciences Division, USA)
"Stratospheric Measurement Campaigns, Aircraft and Balloon Borne In Situ
Sampling: What Do We Hope to Learn?"
11:45 am - 11:55 am

Discussion
11:55 am - 12:15 pm

General Discussion
12:15 pm - 12:30 pm

Poster Previews
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm

Lunch
1:30 pm - 4:00 pm

Free Time
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The GRC Power Hour™
*The GRC Power Hour™ is designed to address diversity and inclusion in the
scientific workplace by providing a safe environment for informal and
meaningful conversations amongst colleagues of all career stages. The
program supports the professional growth of all members of our communities,
including ethnicity, race and/or gender identity by providing an open forum
for discussion and mentoring.*

Organizers: *Simone Tilmes* (National Center for Atmospheric Research, USA)
and *Jessica Gurevitch* (Stony Brook University, USA)
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Poster Session
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Dinner
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Regional Methods
*Most research focuses on "global" cooling; this session will explore
methods that could target more regional cooling, including artificial ocean
upwelling and surface albedo modification.*

Discussion Leader: *Olivier Boucher* (Institut Pierre Simon Laplace, France)
7:30 pm - 7:40 pm

Introduction by Discussion Leader
7:40 pm - 8:15 pm

*Kate Ricke* (University of California, San Diego, USA)
"Prospects for regional geoengineering: Case studies from the Indian Ocean
and Northeastern Pacific"
8:15 pm - 8:25 pm

Discussion
8:25 pm - 9:00 pm

*Sonia Seneviratne* (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
"The Regional Perspective: Climate Extremes, Surface Albedo and Avoiding
High-Regret Options"
9:00 pm - 9:10 pm

Discussion
9:10 pm - 9:30 pm

General Discussion
Tuesday
7:30 am - 8:30 am

Breakfast
8:30 am - 9:00 am

Group Photo
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Cloud-Mediated Processes
*This session will focus on cloud-aerosol processes, for Marine Cloud
Brightening and for Cirrus Cloud Thinning.*

Discussion Leader: *Thomas Leisner* (Institute of Meteorology and Climate
Research, Germany)
9:00 am - 9:10 am

Introduction by Discussion Leader
9:10 am - 9:45 am

*Blaz Gasparini* (University of Vienna, Austria)
"The Knowns, the Known Unknowns, and the Unknown Unknowns of Cirrus Cloud
Thinning Research"
9:45 am - 9:55 am

Discussion
9:55 am - 10:25 am

Coffee Break
10:25 am - 11:00 am

*Daniel Rosenfeld* (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel)
"Geoengineering by Marine Cloud Expansion and Brightening"
11:00 am - 11:10 am

Discussion
11:10 am - 11:45 am

*Robert Wood* (University of Washington, USA)
"Brightening Marine Clouds to Cool Earth: A Review of the Science and an
Agenda for Research"
11:45 am - 11:55 am

Discussion
11:55 am - 12:15 pm

General Discussion
12:15 pm - 12:30 pm

Poster Previews
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm

Lunch
1:30 pm - 4:00 pm

Free Time
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Poster Session
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Dinner
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Climate Response
*This session will focus on changes in climate variables - specifically for
stratospheric aerosols - and how robust those are, and how those depend on
the scenario.*

Discussion Leader: *Ulrike Niemeier* (Max Planck Institute for Meteorology,
Germany)
7:30 pm - 7:40 pm

Introduction by Discussion Leader
7:40 pm - 8:15 pm

*Peter Irvine* (University College London, United Kingdom)
"The Climate Response to Stratospheric Aerosol Geoengineering: What We Know
for Sure"
8:15 pm - 8:25 pm

Discussion
8:25 pm - 9:00 pm

*Daniele Visioni* (Cornell University, USA)
"The Role of Different Temperature Targets for Determining Climate
Engineering Outcomes and Trade-Offs"
9:00 pm - 9:10 pm

Discussion
9:10 pm - 9:30 pm

General Discussion
Wednesday
7:30 am - 8:30 am

Breakfast
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Climate Impacts
*This broad session will consider the influence on a few different but
critical impacts, from economics, to ecosystems, to agriculture.*

Discussion Leader: *Daniel Schrag* (Harvard University, USA)
9:00 am - 9:10 am

Introduction by Discussion Leader
9:10 am - 9:45 am

*Gernot Wagner* (New York University, USA)
"Solar Geoengineering Impacts on Mitigation and Beyond"
9:45 am - 9:55 am

Discussion
9:55 am - 10:25 am

Coffee Break
10:25 am - 11:00 am

*Jonathan Proctor* (Harvard University, USA)
"Empirical Estimates of the Agricultural Response to Changes in Atmospheric
Opacity"
11:00 am - 11:10 am

Discussion
11:10 am - 11:45 am

*Jessica Gurevitch* (Stony Brook University, USA)
"What Impacts Would SAI Have on Ecology: What We need to Know"
11:45 am - 11:55 am

Discussion
11:55 am - 12:15 pm

General Discussion
12:15 pm - 12:30 pm

Poster Previews
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm

Lunch
1:30 pm - 4:00 pm

Free Time
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Poster Session
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Dinner
7:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Business Meeting
*Nominations for the Next Vice Chair; Fill in Conference Evaluation Forms;
Discuss Future Site and Scheduling Preferences; Election of the Next Vice
Chair*
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Developing World Impacts
*This session will highlight research focused on impacts in the developing
world; these include many of the most climate-vulnerable regions.*

Discussion Leader: *Michael Taylor* (University of the West Indies, Jamaica)
7:30 pm - 7:40 pm

Introduction by Discussion Leader
7:40 pm - 8:15 pm

*Ines Camilloni* (University of Buenos Aires, Argentina)
"La Plata Basin Hydroclimate Response to Solar Radiation Modification with
Stratospheric Aerosol Injection"
8:15 pm - 8:25 pm

Discussion
8:25 pm - 9:00 pm

*Izidine Pinto* (University of Cape Town, South Africa)
"Africa's Climate Response to Solar Radiation Management with Stratospheric
Aerosol"
9:00 pm - 9:10 pm

Discussion
9:10 pm - 9:30 pm

General Discussion
Thursday
7:30 am - 8:30 am

Breakfast
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Engineering and Design
*This session explores the "engineering" of Climate Engineering; systematic
approaches for managing uncertainty, design options, and the methods for
deployment*

Discussion Leader: *Hugh Hunt* (University of Cambridge, United Kingdom)
9:00 am - 9:10 am

Introduction by Discussion Leader
9:10 am - 9:45 am

*Wake Smith* (Yale University and Harvard University, USA)
"Deployment Tactics and Costs for Stratospheric Aerosol Injection"
9:45 am - 9:55 am

Discussion
9:55 am - 10:25 am

Coffee Break
10:25 am - 11:00 am

*Ben Kravitz* (Indiana University, USA)
"Mission-Driven Geoengineering Research"
11:00 am - 11:10 am

Discussion
11:10 am - 11:45 am

*Frank Keutsch* (Harvard University, USA)
"Stratospheric Geoengineering: Approaches of Reducing Risk when Interfering
in a Complex System"
11:45 am - 11:55 am

Discussion
11:55 am - 12:15 pm

General Discussion
12:15 pm - 12:30 pm

Poster Previews
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm

Lunch
1:30 pm - 4:00 pm

Free Time
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm

Poster Session
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Keynote Session: Transdisciplinary Research for Climate Engineering

Discussion Leader: *Holly Buck* (University at Buffalo, SUNY, USA)
5:30 pm - 5:45 pm

Introduction by Discussion Leader
5:45 pm - 6:05 pm

Late-Breaking Topic
6:05 pm - 6:15 pm

Discussion
6:15 pm - 6:50 pm

*David Keith* (Harvard University, USA)
"Goal-Directed Research on SRM to the Point Where Credible Decisions Could
Be Taken About Deployment"
6:50 pm - 7:00 pm

Discussion
7:00 pm - 7:20 pm