From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com <geoengineering@googlegroups.com> On
Behalf Of david.sev...@carbon-cycle.co.uk
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2023 10:44 AM
To: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
Subject: [geo] Particles and SRM

Particles and SRM

The post covers some of the issues around various materials that could be used
for SRM, handling and equipment challenges, and issues around creating fine
particles of the different materials. I am excluding discussion about how each
of the materials might react with other chemical species in the environment of
the upper atmosphere. Other previous discussions of this forum have covered
this.
Sulphuric acid
This is probably the most widely discussed material for SRM. I have seen little
regarding the handling hazards and the quite serious issues of storage and
equipment selection. I have worked on production plant design that has had to
incorporate concentrated sulphuric acid. Every aspect of storing, handling,
pumping, and dosing this product is problematic and expensive. SRM will by
definition need to use reasonable amounts of this material and this will
trigger all kinds of health and safety issues for aspects of the operation. The
problems get exponentially worse and more expensive if you try to go the route
of sulphur dioxide or trioxide. Shifting to diluted sulphuric (50% for example)
does not always make things easier. I can guarantee that the costs of using
sulphuric acid at any scale will be harder and a lot more expensive than people
will initially expect. This will mean higher CAPEX and OPEX costs. I can see
real issues of pumping sulphuric acid and spraying at high altitude once you
undertake a risk failure analysis for if something goes wrong. The problems are
not unsolvable but they will limit where you can do this and they will raise
costs.

Titanium Dioxide
Titanium dioxide has the significant advantage that when it is made, it forms
small submicron particles that are well suited for SRM. Regretfully there are
other confounding issues with titanium dioxide:

-          It is quite costly and a limited resource. If a new market emerged
to start using more of it the price would become even greater.

-          It takes a lot of refining and will increase the waste production
that is associated with its production. Again I have some experience in this
area. It is a non-trivial matter.

-          Powdered titanium dioxide carries a cancer risk if mishandled. I
think if you started seriously talking about spraying particles of this
material in the upper atmosphere, there would be public pushback for this
reason.

Calcium Carbonate
Previous, I was a one of the people who early on argued for considering this
material.  Calcium carbonate could have a lot of advantages (easy to handle,
plentiful, etc) but I now realise there is a serious issue that I feel needs to
be brought to the fore. Creating submicron calcium carbonate is going to be
costly in terms of Capex, OPEX, and energy. Again I have experience here
because my team was looking at capturing CO2 by reacting gypsum with CO2 and
ammonium sulphate to make pigment quality calcium carbonate (white filler). We
solved the purification problem which had defeated all who had attempted this
before. We could make 10 micron precipitated calcium carbonate fairly easy and
the grinding costs to make 3 micron product (this was our target market) are
not bad BUT if you want to make a lot of small fine submicron calcium
carbonate, there are issues. When you grind calcium carbonate below 10 micron,
the grinding energy exponentially climbs the finer you get. This means if you
want to make product with an average diameter below 0.1 micron, the energy
costs is going to be very substantial. The production plant will need to be
quite large. So you will incur high CAPEX and OPEX costs. Potentially, I think
this could be enough to prevent calcium carbonate being a material to use for
SRM.

Salt (NaCl)
There has been a lot of discussion about spraying salt water to make fine
particles through different ways.  I have done work on spraying reactants.
Coalescence is a non-trivial issue that tends to rob you of the fine particles
that you were initially seeking. There are solutions but all require more
energy and equipment complication. I found nozzle clogging issues became more
of an issue the finer that we tried to spray and when we tried to increase the
volumes. Again, not an unsolvable problem but if your spray nozzle is tens of
miles up, it will likely be an issue to give real thought to. It will
definitely be a lot harder to deliver salt particles that are fine submicron
rather than above 1 micron salt particles.
There may be a more direct solution for salt that I have not previously seen.
It would be relatively straightforward to create sub-micron salt particles
using a spray drier. This is well established technology that equipment exists
for small and large applications. I believe it is likely that you could create
bulk salt particles below 10 nm.  It would be relatively easy to blow a mixture
of dry air and fine salt particles up a tube to high altitude where they would
be released.
An ideal arrangement would be to have a small spray drier creating fine
particle salt from a salt solution that is then directly taken and mixed with
dry air and blown up a fine tube to the high atmosphere where it is released.
The delivery tube is supported by an aluminised nitrogen filled balloon. I have
previous written about using nitrogen filled balloons as stable platforms for
lifting and how you would do this. Potentially, a nitrogen filled aluminised
balloon would be a very stable lifting platform as the nitrogen would take
decades to diffuse out of the balloon envelope.

David Sevier

Carbon Cycle Limited
248 Sutton Common Road
Sutton, Surrey SM3 9PW
England

geoengineering+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:geoengineering+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geoengineering/019901d926b5%24e0e01c20%24a2a05460%24%40carbon-cycle.co.uk<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geoengineering/019901d926b5%24e0e01c20%24a2a05460%24%40carbon-cycle.co.uk?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.