Robert Chris and other readers,

On neoliberalism, its homo economicus assumptions can only work effectively
under well designed state regulation to deliver rule of law.  It is possible to
change the law to incentivise action on planetary cooling and other public
goods.  My view is that an international system of radiative forcing credits
can offer the best basis and motivation for well-regulated investment in
cooling technologies in ways that can harness the good points of neoliberalism
and mitigate its harm.

Stabilising the climate requires a return to net zero heating against the
Holocene baseline.  Action to reduce the positive warming forcing from GHGs is
essential, but is far slower than action to build the negative forcing effects
of albedo to equal and oppose and largely neutralise heating through direct
climate cooling.  A new albedo industry can be built when governments recognise
that correcting the planetary heating imbalance by targeting zero RF is a main
and proper objective of climate policy.  Investment would then be funded by
government guarantee of payment for demonstrated albedo increase, or equivalent
cooling effect, within a context of scientific analysis to guide safe and
effective implementation. The government guarantee is the basis of RF credits,
which could then expand into private finance with a far stronger empirical
basis than carbon credits.

The polarisation of climate politics is at an impasse, with neoliberals
retreating into denial and nuclear because they cannot see a response to the
decarbonisation logic.  Our discussions have amply proved that decarbonisation
is a flawed strategy with no hope of preventing tipping points.  That makes
climate a world security problem that can only be fixed with higher albedo.
Cutting the Gordian Knot of the climate impasse needs the quick cooling focus
that can be delivered by RF credits.

On your point about economic growth, my view is that RF credits offer capacity
to shift the economy to a sustainable approach.  RF credits will base climate
policy in planetary science, by restricting climate subsidies to actions that
actually cool the planet or pay for loss and damage.  RF credits will also
importantly show that long term addition to carbon stock and flow through
technologies such as biochar and algae has strongly measurable RF impact that
will promote investment in them.  The beauty of converting CO2 into useful
products is that it generates a cyclic economy, providing a basis for continued
emissions to be eventually overbalanced and outweighed by the scale of carbon
conversion.

A carbon mining industry could extract a hundred gigatonnes C per year, limited
only by the planetary boundaries of Earth System Sensitivity, with scale of
operation constrained by the need to prevent a new Ice Age.  Ice Age scale is
around a trillion tonnes C removal, and is so big that there is enormous scope
to commodify CO2 with RF credits in ways that will deliver sustained economic
growth and climate repair.

The profit motive governing the relationship between capital and labour
presents no intrinsic barrier to climate repair, but it requires a strong state
able to regulate business.

Your point, RC, that “On a finite planet never ending growth is the definition
of unsustainability” is a common trope.  The ocean has a billion cubic
kilometres of water that our economy has barely started to use for climate
repair, taking advantage of the massive natural area, energy and resources at
sea.  Ocean technologies have massive profitable growth potential.  As well, if
growth is targeted through RF credits at actions that actually repair and
restore and regenerate the natural system, by converting CO2 into useful
products, alongside brightening, then there is no reason why long term growth
cannot be sustained.  A forest can grow forever as long as its complex adaptive
system is stable.  An economic shift to recognition of planetary goals can
equally be sustained forever in ways that enhance prosperity, peace,
biodiversity and equality.

I see no reason except their own prejudices and inertia why the neoliberal
capitalist community cannot evolve to get on board with this vision, while
recognising that their history of disrespect for conquered peoples means their
views and actions should be treated with suspicion. A main incentive for them
is to reduce the costs and upheaval of emission reduction.

In my work managing the chaplaincy at the Australian National University, I am
building a multi faith community
<https://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/fostering-belonging-support-in-a-multi-faith-community>
 .  I see these values as integral to work on climate change, and hope there
will be more opportunities for discussion, including during my visit to the UK
in May and June.

On whether 1.5 c or 2.0 c thresholds are economically realistic in a voluntary
NDC regime, the answer is obviously no. The Nationally Determined Commitments
approach has failed and needs a rethink, through an International Climate
Organisation.  A completely different approach from the Paris Accord, grounded
instead in Radiative Forcing Credits for albedo enhancement and carbon
conversion, is the only way to slow dangerous warming.

Best Regards

Robert Tulip