https://www.axios.com/pro/climate-deals/2023/09/21/chris-sacca-lowercarbon-al-gore-geoengineering

*Authors*
Alan Neuhauser <https://www.axios.com/authors/aneuhauser>, author of Axios
Pro: Climate Deals <https://www.axios.com/pro/climate-deals>

*21 September 2023*

[image: Illustration of a spray head on a salt shaker spraying salt.]

Illustration: Lindsey Bailey/Axios

Billionaire investor Chris Sacca
<https://www.axios.com/2022/10/26/sacca-hydrogen-carbon-capture> yesterday
said that spraying particles into the Earth's atmosphere to reflect the
sun's rays and slow global warming may now be the only way to save humanity.

Why it matters: The Lowercarbon Capital founder has helped turn a fringe
idea into one now attracting serious attention.

Driving the news: "We have no opportunity for survival on this planet
unless you reflect back sunlight," Sacca said at a summit in New York City
organized by venture capital firm Equal Ventures.

   - "If we don't do it as a species, it's all over."

Catch up fast: Sacca was an early investor in Uber, Twitter, Stripe,
Instagram and Kickstarter, and later a regular guest on "Shark Tank."
<https://www.axios.com/2017/12/15/chris-sacca-retires-from-vc-and-shark-tank-1513301833>

   - His climate-focused firm, Lowercarbon
   <https://www.axios.com/2020/06/17/chris-sacca-clean-energy-venture-capital>,
   this week announced

<https://lowercarboncapital.com/2023/09/17/draft-announce-two-new-funds-v-3-with-sacca-edits-docx-pdf-nft/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosprorata&stream=top>
that
   it raised another $550 million, bringing its total assets under management
   past $2 billion.

The latest: Sacca has previously called for research into solar radiation
management
<https://www.axios.com/2022/12/10/geoengineering-research-hacking-planet>.
He was especially forthright yesterday in arguing that the tech is needed
to "buy time" to switch to low-carbon energy sources and remove carbon from
the air.

   - He and his wife, Crystal, have funded research into spraying salt
   particles into the atmosphere.

The intrigue: The White House this summer outlined
<https://www.axios.com/2023/07/07/biden-administration-takes-geoengineering-step-eu>
potential research program focused on solar reflection, such as with salt,
and the European Commission called for high-level talks on the issue.

The other side: Former Vice President Al Gore has criticized geoengineering
proposals, citing potential unintended consequences.

   - A UN panel in February called for at least a temporary moratorium

<https://www.axios.com/2023/02/28/geoengineering-climate-change-research-scientists>
on
   deploying the tech.

What they're saying: "Bless Al Gore, this movement would not have happened
without him and 'Inconvenient Truth,'" Sacca said yesterday. "But he has
for years shamed anyone paying attention to that space because he's
considered it a moral hazard."

   - "We've all been geoengineering the planet for decades," he continued.
   "If we don't normalize research in sunlight reflection, we're all f__ed."

*Source: AXIOS PRO*