Martin Davis wrote:
In JTS Geometry.getDimension() follows the OGC semantics, and returns the dimension of the geometry (not the coordinates).

So this looks like a bug in GEOS.  IMO this should be fixed.

Martin,

I should clarify.  On deeper examination the only getDimension() that
was not returning the geometry dimension was the C API wrapper one.  I'm
not sure why. So the C++ is getDimension() is already right.

I think we will have to change the values returned by the C API getDimension
function to match C++ even though this introduces a modest risk of problems
for applications using the undocumented current behavior.

Adding a getCoordinateDimension seems like a good idea. What would this return for coordinates which have XYM? Would it work for empty geometries?

Well, GEOS does not yet have any M support.

Maybe strk is right, and this should be changed to an enum. Perhaps the enum could be defined as

XY = 2
XYZ = 3
XYZM = 4
XYM = 5 ?

Or perhaps there is already a convention covering this?

My personal opinion is that the interpretation of the coordinate
dimensions should not be directly mixed into getting the number
of coordinate dimensions.  But I could be wrong headed on this.

Best regards,