On 14.06.22 01:31, Regina Obe wrote:
So what's your interest in mingw64?
Are you building mingw64 packages on Fedora?
Yes, resp. Fedora offers a fairly large collection of mingw packages in its repos. These can be used to cross-compile an application to Windows from Fedora.

The thing is libgeos_c.dll never changes (I'm fine with a c_1.dll for that)
But the c++ api is unstable.
So why do I want this changing in every micro release when all that should be
used is the C-API by packagers which is stable?
Well that's actually the reason why versioning is useful. If dependent packages use the unstable API of GEOS (whether they should or should not), you can pick up which are doing so by scanning the requires of the dependent packages for libgeos-$version.dll, and rebuild these when pushing the new GEOS version.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandro Mani [mailto:manisan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 1:33 PM
To: GEOS Development List <geos-devel@lists.osgeo.org>; Regina Obe
<l...@pcorp.us>
Subject: Re: [geos-devel] mingw64 file libs changed

Hi

I'm actually packaging for Fedora.

In short, autotools (and more recently, meson) both add suffixes to the
shared library names with version number, cmake does not do so, but
apparently just because no-one actually pursued it [1].

Why is it useful?

- Quickly picking out which packages need to be rebuild when a dependent
package which carries an ABI incompatibilty is updated (i.e. dnf repoquery --
whatrequires 'mingw64(libgeos_c-1.dll)'). This is *very* useful for packaging.
- Actually even noticing when an ABI incompatibility arises. Packagers often
spot ABI incompatibilities when the so version of a library is bumped. This
clearly requires upstream to properly set and update the soversion.
- For the same reason as above, versioned requires between packages
- Potentially, allowing parallel versions without DLL name collisions

Thanks
Sandro

[1] https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/issues/21716