On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM, David Winslow <dwins...@opengeo.org>wrote:

> Apologies for both the low code quality and the late timing, this code was
> kind of a back-burner experiment.  I would like to get it into RC1 however
> and can put some more serious effort into it this week.

Great. But just be warned that this will be changes to core code. And last
week we pushed back RC1 to accomodate some core security changes. The
concerns raised there will probably be apply here in that it seems risky to
make a bunch of core changes and then stamp it RC1 directly after. However I
imagine the scale of these changes to be smaller so I guess we can discuss
that when we have a patch in hand.

> I gather the design should be something along the lines of:
>
>    - CatalogImpl::validate becomes public API (moving to
>    Catalog::validate)
>    - The validation code I added in ResourceInfoImpl moves to
>    CatalogImpl::validate(ResourceInfo, boolean)
>
> One question comes to mind: would it be worthwhile to make this an
> extension point (for example, the style requirement would only be enforced
> if you have WMS disabled)?  I guess the WMS/WFS/WCS related fields are
> pretty well baked-in to the catalog so perhaps it wouldn't be useful.
>
> Big +1. I think an extension point makes a lot of sense and indeed
something that came up in the past. It also gives smaller extensions that
store metadata on catalog entries a chance for validation.

--
Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org