That's a defect fixed just a couple weeks ago. Try a nightly build:
<http://gridlock.opengeo.org/geoserver/2.0.x/geoserver-2.0.x-latest-bin.zip>
<http://gridlock.opengeo.org/geoserver/2.0.x/ext-latest/geoserver-2.0.3-SNAPSHOT-arcsde-plugin.zip>

That should fix it. Otherwise please tell me.

Cheers,
Gabriel

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 16:13 -0800, Mathieu Lavoie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set a ArcSDE Raster (9.2) store in Geoserver 2.0.2 and
> I'm getting the following error from the Add Store page:
>
> Could not list layers for this store, an error occurred retrieving
> them: Unable to acquire test coverage for format:ArcSDE Raster
>
> I've checked out the code and looked at it.
>
> In the CatalogBuilder class there is some code that generates a fake
> small GridCoverage to retrieve meta information which is added to the
> parameters Map send to the reader.
>
> (~Line 651-653)
>         //build the corresponding envelope
>         final MathTransform gridToWorldCorner =
> reader.getOriginalGridToWorld(PixelInCell.CELL_CORNER);
>         GeneralEnvelope testEnvelope
> =CRS.transform(gridToWorldCorner,new
> GeneralEnvelope(testRange.getBounds()));
>

> Then on ~Line 660 the reader.read method is called:
>
> //try to read this coverage
>         gc = (GridCoverage2D)
> reader.read(CoverageUtils.getParameters(readParams, parameters,
>                     true));
>
> gc will be null which explain the error: ' Unable to acquire test
> coverage for format:ArcSDE Raster'
>
> The reader called is : ArcSDEGridCoverage2DReaderJAI
>
> From what I can tell, findMatchingRasters (Line 205) is empty because
> RasterUtils.findMatchingRasters is returning an empty list.
>
> The following condition is always false therefore nothing will be
> added to the list matchingRasters:
>
> (RasterUtils, line 520)
> if (requestedEnvelope.intersects(gridEnvelope, edgesInclusive)) {
>
> Basically, there is no data available for the requestedEnvelope in
> ArcSDE.
>
> My understanding is that the original envelope is calculated using the
> rasterInfo. This envelope is something like the smallest rectangle
> that can contain all the raster data. There is good chance that there
> some area without data which is the case for the test envelope.
>
> The test envelope is using the top left corner to generate the
> bounding box. The problem is that it can't be guarantee that there is
> data for this envelope for every single store.
>
> If I hardcode the test envelope to a value where I know there is data,
> it's working just fine.
>
> - Is there any possible workaround ?
>
> - Is it something wrong in ArcSDE (which I'm not an expert) ?
>
> - Is Geoserver expecting to get data for every area of the envelope ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mathieu Lavoie

Gabriel Roldan
grol...@opengeo.org
Expert service straight from the developers