Hi Ian,
from that doc I see the following:

[user]$ cd jetty-distribution-9.3.14-SNAPSHOT
[jetty-distribution-9.3.14-SNAPSHOT]$ java -jar start.jar
--module=http jetty.http.port=8080

Does not look like it should be passed as a system variable using -D, like
done in the commit, but plain jane argument instead?
See also:

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/commit/dbf7fb7f7f25fd8200aea0f0e3d6611915c19bc8

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Ian Turton <ijtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like they are moving to preferring start.ini over commandline
> options - https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/9.3.x/startup.html
>
> Ian
>
> On 27 October 2016 at 10:13, Ian Turton <ijtur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing the same thing on my windows box
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> On 27 October 2016 at 10:10, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) <
>> jukka.rahko...@maanmittauslaitos.fi> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> Unfortunately https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-7677 is not
>>> fixed. I found 2 problems:
>>>

>>> 1)      The wrapper.conf does not get the fourth parameter that was set
>>> to be
>>>
>>> wrapper.java.additional.4=-Djetty.http.port=$Port
>>>

>>> After installation I have in wrapper.conf just these
>>> # Java Additional Parameters
>>>
>>> wrapper.java.additional.1=-Djetty.base=.
>>>
>>> wrapper.java.additional.2=-DGEOSERVER_DATA_DIR="%GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR%"
>>>
>>> wrapper.java.additional.3=-Djava.io.tmpdir=./work
>>>

>>> 2)      If I add manually wrapper.java.additional.4=-Djetty.http.port=8089
>>> into wrapper.conf, Geoserver 2.10 still gets installed into port 8080.
>>>

>>> So it seems that the fix is not applied but even if it was, if would not
>>> correct the issue L
>>>

>>> I can make Jetty to start in 8089 if I edit the start.ini file to
>>> contain jetty.port=8089. That is an easy fix to do manually,  but the
>>> script that creates the exe installer does not modify start.ini but only
>>> wrapper.conf.  I do not know what has changed with the new Jetty. Perhaps
>>> the order of applying port definitions from different sources? Now
>>> wrapper.conf is trying to set the port to the one that user gives, but both
>>> jetty-http.xml and start.ini have the default port 8080. Perhaps another
>>> setting overrides whatever is set in wrapper.conf?
>>>

>>> -Jukka Rahkonen-

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.