On 01-03-17 22:34, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Hi Richard - during the release of GeoServer 2.9 we asked for help
> testing; in part to head off any issues like this. Considerable work was
> done on how geoserver interacts with the data directory and the file
> system at that time.

I do prereleases pretty often.. but not 2.9.... sorry

> One thing that does not make sense to me is the URL provided
> "file://E:\luchtfotos2016" - when I use firefox in a windows VM I get
> something like "file:///C:/java/target/".

I know it is a funny URL:

file://E:\luchtfotos2016

but it's not me making this up... it is Geoserver webinterface doing it
when I browse to E: and then go into the directory luchtfotos2016...
This is WindosServer2008 (but later tested on Win10 too)

and as said: that url worked in 2.8 (and I found even funnier URL's in
older configs: file:e:\luchtfotos2015\ which apparently worked at that
time :-(

> When teaching on windows (my only chance to use it) I often use firefox
> to construct the correct URL as above. Can you do so now - I would
> expect something like file://E:/lunchfotos2016/"

It is Firefox that we use on that machine...

I just installed Geoserver 2.10 nightly on my kids Windows pc here at
home (fresh vanilla Geoserver zip)...

Create a 'Image Mosaic', browse to whatever directory outside the
GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR folder (be it c: or d:), eg d:\data en you will see
file://D:\data

when trying to save it as a store you will see:
Could not list layers for this store, an error occurred retrieving them.
Failed to create reader from file://D:\data and hints is null

I created an issue for it:

https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-8011

Note that creating a shape store and browsing to a shapefile also shows
a funny url, but that just succeeds in creating the store...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde